Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Saying Goodbye To A 146 Year Tradition

Last night was the final show of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus. 146 years of shows. A tradition for many families, and now, it's gone.

I remember riding an elephant at one of these shows when I was tiny. I remember loving the trapeze artists the most, only to be replaced by the clowns as my favorite several years later.

It's crazy to think that, even though it was a completely minor part, I have a connection to this show. It was around 11 years ago that the Lewisville LAFS clowns, Ashes, Radio, and Petunia, were invited to hang out with the clowns pre-show. Thanks to my awesome boss at the time, I managed to get off of work in time to join them and Chief Carter at the American Airlines Center, where I got to take pictures and watch as 'my' clowns interacted with the professionals.

It was AMAZING. The Circus clowns were playful, kind, helpful...you name it, they were that for the Lewisville group. I got 'snotted on' by an elephant. I watched in awe as 'Grandpa' remained in character the entire time, moving so slowly it was as if he were racing a snail. After the doors opened, Lewisville helped the Circus clowns with the pre-show entertainment, and then we settled into seats to watch the show.

The next year, Lewisville was invited back again, and this time Cary went to the fun and took photos. Then they opened the opportunity up to the LAFS group in the area. Before the pre-show, clowns from all over the metroplex gathered at the AA Center and participated in a clown college, learning makeup tips, acrobatics, juggling...and most excitedly, just hanging with the big-time guys.






When they were in town for a Fun Run for the American Heart Association, the Lewisville guys were invited out to help entertain the kids. And then there was the Guiness Book Of World Records Biggest Shaving Cream Pie Fight that once again featured the RB&BB clowns...and Lewisville LAFS.


                            

   




























I think you're starting to see my point here. There is a small piece of history in that 146 years that include people that are incredibly significant in my life, and I was a photographer in some of that. 

What an amazing adventure this all was, and I've heard a former Circus clown say, "Smile Because it Happened". Beautiful words to remember.

Thank you, Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus for the wonderful memories.





1 comment:

TJ said...

YOu need a LOVE button!'

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...