Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Big Night Take II

April has been good to our little town here in Maine!  On Sunday evening, we got to experience our second Big Night in 2012, which is the night that the weather is perfect for amphibians to try to migrate to their vernal pool to reproduce:  this particular vernal pool though is located by a busy road, so we help the critters move across to try to keep them from being squashed.  It proved to be fruitful for the little critters that decided to wait to cross the road this night.

According to the leaders of the night, we helped over 12 spotted salamanders, 20 spring peepers, a handful of wood frogs, green frogs and bullfrogs, and a four-toed salamander!

We had a police officer walk with us as we 'hunted', and at one point, he pulled over a vehicle that was trying to drive past, only to  later have another police car go down to where they were...and even a little later than that, the walking police officer retrieved his car and went whizzing by back to the scene!

I unfortunately didn't get to see many peepers, green frogs, bullfrogs, or the four-toed salamander as I ended up straggling behind and helping a couple of salamanders.  Cary and Brylee, further ahead than I was with our friends Nancy and Kyle, saw more stuff!

You can't really see them, but this picture is of Cary and B:  both real troopers in going along on this late, chilly, and rainy night!



This is how we found B when we got home.  I just wish it wasn't so blurry when I took it, because she woke up immediately after I took it...

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...