Friday, July 31, 2009

It's Starting To Feel Real...

So finally another update! Ok, one of these years I'll get to the last of the London trip (unless I have some volunteers to help me out...), but for now, I'll focus on daily things that are happening in the McFadden world.

I am now feeling baby movement quite a bit. Once someone described to me what it felt like (butterflies low in the stomach is how I would describe it), I feel it quite a bit. Cary is eager to feel it, too, but the doctor says it will take a little longer before he can. But I can't wait for him to enjoy, too!

I'm paranoid about sleeping on my back. Lately that is the most comfortable position for me to snooze, but the doctor says that's a no-no. So I toss and turn a bit more in the middle of the night when I get sore one way.

And now, it is just about time to start registering for things. Neutral things for now, considering baby is stubborn. Car seats/travel systems, playpens, high chairs, monitors...I'm not really big on pink, so even if it is a girl, the most pink we might see is the clothing. Thank goodness for yellows and greens!

Now, this is where I would LOVE advice from all the mommies out there that know what we're going through. PLEASE let me know any good suggestions in anything, what brands you think are good or bad, and what is needed or not needed. For example: I love the idea of a playpen, but is a pack 'n' play necessary, or the basic playpen itself good enough?

I have had some wonderful advice from my cousin so far, and she has been through this 3 times, but of course I value any and all incoming. And reviews from strangers just don't seem to give me enough.

Thank you ahead of time for those who respond. It is so nice to know that I'm not without support around me!

6 comments:

The Guess Family said...

Here I am again....stop me anytime. I forgot to tell you, that if you anticipate a move in the future, which would mean lots of air travel, than you should register for a carseat travel bag. The airlines used to wrap your carseat in a big plastic bag when you checked it. Now, I guess either for the economy or the environment, not sure which, they have stopped. If you dont' have a travel bag, they just chunk it down below with all the other luggage and it can come back really dirty, with all the straps out of place.

Autumn said...

I found that the most helpful item I used for both kids was a Boppy. It was great to give my arms support during bottle or breast feeding. It was also great for when the kids started to sit up. BPA free bottles-I used Avent for Chloe and Born Free brand for Evan. The Born Frees were better than Dr. Brown's for Evan's refulx. The parts clean really easily, too! I used the pack-n-play only a few times with Chloe would drive up to Denver for weekend getaways, but I only used it once with Evan. I never found a huge use for slings or baby carriers-but if you want to try out a Baby Bjorn, I only used mine once with Evan, and I still have it packed away in the box. I think I bought EVERY SINGLE ITEM possible with Chloe and barely used half. With Evan, the only necessity was a good bassinet so he could sleep in our room at night due to his breathing issues. Definately get the What to Expect the First Year book. It really presents kid questions with non alarming answers--I've still got my copy from Evan if you would like to have it. I could so go on (can't ya tell) :)

Cary said...

Thank you both for all your practical advice. We are really enjoying hearing from you recent mothers.

Brad McFadden said...

I cant wait to start buying you things!

The Guess Family said...

ditto on the Boppy! Mine is a treasure I can never get rid off, after snuggling all my precious newborns on it. Still using it now, at 4 months! Funny how different parenting styles/kid personalities come into play. I couldn't live without my Bjorn or sling. Gracyn went to the park in the Bjorn this morning and grocery shopping in it this afternoon. :)

TJ/Mom said...

Brad, what do you mean you can't wait to start buying things? I've already started. Now where is that list.....

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...