Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Day In The Life Of The McFadden Daycare

Now that we are in a routine in our 'daycare', I want to write it down so that we can remember in the future when Brylee asks about our day...

The location: our living room floor. We also rotate to her bedroom, but for some reason it started here, so this is the natural place for us to go back to. Notice the blankets on the side and on the coffee table? Those are the bumpers to keep her little noggin safer!













Her spread of toys vary from simple rattles to her balls, shape blocks, play mat, and me occasionally pulling out her toy box of stuffed animals. Lately, all of her toys have been out of her reach to try to entice her to crawl. Instead, she decides to entertain herself some other way, like pulling up on the coffee table...













The water cooler. This is where we gossip and talk sports talk. Did you see that show last night...













Our daily reading. Short little chapters that put the complicated Bible into very easy to understand stories. She is still a bit young to sit still and not try to tear the pages, but I sure am learning a lot!














I also work with these daily. They are homemade flash cards that I put together to help her learn her numbers, letters, colors and a lot of basic words, like baby, sleep, spoon, flower....
Cary and I are also constantly working with signing with the basic words as well. Mom, dad, milk, eat, ball, colors....
**Thanks Dawn for the catch!










Around 12:00, her daddy comes home for lunch, typically a grilled cheese sandwich (sometimes I shake things up by making waffles or french toast). Sometimes Brylee is asleep, but wakes up for a little time with her dad.

On Wednesdays, her Oma and Opa join us for lunch, which really rocks her world. She is so happy to see them! And then, on Thursdays, she and I go out for a little adventure and meet her T-Ma and B-Pa for lunch. Again, she is so thrilled to get all of their attention.

One of her favorite toys right now: her shape blocks. She loves to put them in her mouth and drool all over them. Of course I use the opportunity to try to teach her her colors and shapes. It is also a fun game for me to put them back into the bucket, and she pulls them back out again.













She takes a nap 2-3 times a day, which makes for great opportunity for me to get laundry, catch up on emails (everyone knows when this happens because they start getting responses all at one time from the 5 they left throughout the course of the morning), or clean her bottles:










Chester's favorite place...on the cool tile by the front door. I d get the opportunity to make him chase his favorite tennis ball every once in a while, but the poor guy tends to mostly sleep. Don't blame him!










By the end of the day, this is what we see: typically Brylee rolling around and just being silly. The floor most often looks much more messy, but when I took these pictures, she had decided that she didn't want to look like a messy kid, but a little clown!










When I first put this daily activity together, I had a 'schedule':

Masterpiece Monday (look at art or make some kind of art/craft)
Tune Tuesday (listen to music)
World Wide Wednesday (study things about the world. ex: we have looked at different types of bodies of water, and transportation)
Theater Thursday (another excuse to watch a movie!!!!)
Field Trip Friday (self explanatory, except sometimes our field trip consists of going to the grocery store)

For the most part, we have done these things, but not always on the designated days. Not that I expect a lot, but I just want to keep things mixed up and fun for both of us!

This week, though, has been anything but routine.

On Monday, we got a great visit from her Aunt Faith, Uncle Brad, and Cousin Helen, which included going to the apartment pool and swimming.

Tuesday, we got to have lunch with my Grandfather, Uncle, Aunt, 3 cousins, and my dad.

Wednesday, I took her to the church around the corner and we watched a lot of little preschool kids run around playing. She was the youngest one there, not even able to crawl just yet, but she loved the activity and attention none the less!

It is only Thursday, but I have a feeling that the rest of the week will be just as unique as earlier. If not, there's always next week!

Whew! I'm tired after that long post! Now to go get her dressed and ready to see her T-Ma and B-Pa for lunch!

2 comments:

The Guess Family said...

Don't forget to hunt down a good storytime....you will both love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Well when you have grandparents as clowns what do you expect?!?!?!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...