Friday, October 29, 2010

Another Season Finished!

(photo taken by Matthew Thornbury with Whitney Weber's camera!)

Mission Safety:

Your next task is to learn what happens when you want to teach the children of Lewisville how to stay safe.

13 schools in 13 days. This was the first season that I was fully involved in the clown program, a.k.a, showing up to most of the shows (I only missed one!) and helped set up, break down, take pictures, and even once, subbed in as Mrs. Dousefire.

What a fun time shared with great people! I have met new friends, got to know acquaintances, and learned a little about the business of entertaining and teaching children...

Some of my favorite memories of this?

Someone (I won't mention names) had a microphone on and went to use the 'little clowns' room before the show. They forgot to mute the mic, and a couple of the helper clowns got to hear it. Fortunately, I heard nothing but a flush, but it was a blushing event none-the-less...

The next show, another someone walked behind stage, where they produced a decent-sized belch. This time I think the big speakers were on. Fortunately, no kids in the room, just the clown helpers!

Cary got to join us halfway through the season, so we would also take turns bringing Brylee. Everyone seemed to really enjoy her, and she got really used to seeing her B-pa as a clown. She even let Radio hold her! But the funny part of this is that before the last show, Ashes was holding her and suddenly said, 'uh-oh'....and as he handed her to me, we saw a little puddle of urine on the gym floor. She got his vest, too! Poor Ashes! Fortunately, that was the only part of his costume that was hit, but he had just got that vest, and looks quite dapper in it...after the show, Cary, Brylee and I went on a mission to try to find a 'back-up' one for the future if that (or any other mishaps) were to happen again. No luck. But I'm glad to see that Ashes got a laugh out of it afterwards!

Last night, after wrapping up the final performances for the kids, we did 2 more shows in an empty auditorium so it could be put on video. We could tell that the clowns were tired at 8:00 p.m., so Cary and I decided to help 'pep' them up by standing in front of them in the cafeteria, playing their parts right beside them...Ashes and Radio say that they struggled to keep a smile and extra laugh from escaping them, but looks like they held it really well. Cary and I just hope we were as entertaining as they were!

Thank you, Lewisville LAFS, for letting me be a part of it this year. What a fun way to spend a month!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...