Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Brylee's Tale Part II

When we last left off, I had gotten settled into the new room for recovery for the next few days. I was still pretty groggy, but Brylee was brought in and I got to see her, considering I had only seen her for literally 3 seconds previously when she was fresh from the womb.

We took a few pictures of her and then I think I got more sleep (did I mention I was still really groggy?). Cary got the joy of sleeping on a pull-out bed that was stuffed in a chair beside my bed. I do remember him being awake at 2:00 in the morning, and he left to go get breakfast (IHOP was just outside the hospital doors!).

I had several nurses monitoring me while I was recovering. I remember I did not like the strictness of the first nurse--she kept getting on to me because my arm would bend, blocking off the catheter in the bend of my elbow. But how was I supposed to hold and feed my baby when I could only use one arm?!?! She later got back onto my good side when she brought me a popscicle and some jello!

The next nurse I had was named Lori, and she was really nice and helped me get a shower. I was so sore and it took forever for me to get up and move around. Thank goodness for pain meds!! Even though I was able to get up, I still spent the majority of the day in bed, watching Cary take care of Brylee, as well as seeing all the people that came by to visit us.

Cary and I did our best to keep Brylee with us as much as possible, as we wanted to get to know her the best we could. She had to have blood sugar tests done before every other meal because of my gestational diabetes (turns out that she was perfect though!).

The events in the recovery room from Thursday until Saturday was mostly uneventful, but it was great getting to watch her and her visitors hold her and talk to her. The nurses were great, and I loved the nursery nurses. I have one favorite of each: Gabby, one of my nurses, who was from Nigeria. We found out that she attends our church, and we had several times of just standing there and talking to her. She had great stories and made us laugh!

My favorite nursery nurse was Niki, who spoiled Brylee, making a little bow for her hat and just giving her so much attention. She was the only girl out of 5 that Niki was watching while on her shift.

Cary was fortunate to get to go out and enjoy some relaxation time and good food with family and even by himself, where I'm sure he had a lot of time to reflect. He worked hard, changing diapers, swaddling, and taking care of me, while I felt like I laid around and didn't do as much. I wish there was a way I could express the gratitude I feel towards him for making our transition into parents so easy. For those who didn't know already, he makes an amazing dad. I love watching him interact with Brylee.

Brylee's visitors were:

Her grandparents (of course!), who were so helpful in everything. They were constantly doing things to help us out, like bringing me pajamas to wear when I no longer had to wear the hideous hospital gown. I have 3 totally cute new outfits to wear around the apartment now, and they are so comfy!!

Her uncle Brad, aunt Faith, and cousin Helen. Helen loved her little cousin, and Brylee was spoiled rotten by all of them with attention (and the cutest little bunny blanket, which looks like a female Pintu; we appropriately named her Cantu). And Faith--thank you for the talk. It was nice to get a chance to talk with you and to get your thoughts on the things that I face ahead of me. I truly appreciate it!

Brad and Teresa Kenney, who said a beautiful prayer for Brylee and our new family (and startled Cary, who was on his way out to grab some dinner)

Her great grandparents on my side of the family, except for Barbara (we missed you and hope to see you soon!). I don't blame him, but Grandpa J was a little leary of holding her because she is so tiny--sometimes I still am too! But I found out that Pajay (Grandpa's dad) was born in 1904--at just over 2 pounds! That blows my mind. It is possible now, but a century ago, survival for such a tiny baby was probably far more of a miracle!

My aunt Amy
Friend and co-worker Lori,
High school friends Autumn and Clay

My mind goes blank at the moment if anyone else visited (I blame it on drugs!)

I am so thankful for everyone that did come to visit, the congratulations on Facebook and the blog, and the things people have done for us in the last few days, weeks, and months (and in our family's case, years).

1 comment:

Eugenia said...

Congratulations Jenn and Cary! Brylee has wonderful parents!!!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...