Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jenn's Birthday Story


Today is my birthday! To me, it really isn't a big deal...however, I know there was a story written about the night I was born, and I want to put it up so that it is always readable, and maybe someday Brylee (and other children) will express an interest in reading it.

This was written by Melinda Sipes-Hosea on January 21, 1978 at 12:15 a.m. (It's long, but I enjoyed reading it!)

Well, tonight really was quite the hectic night. Your uncle Doug and I were there to help take care of your mom and dad. It was really cold today and there was still a lot of ice on the roads. Your mom was taken to the hospital at about 9:15 a.m. (January 20th). Your dad called Uncle Doug (who called me later) to come to the hospital in Lewisville. So Uncle Doug and I picked up something at McDonald's and drove out to Lewisville. We got to the hospital and met Grandma Wilson. Your dad was in the Labor Room with your mom....but you decided then to take your ever lovin' time. Your dad and mom were both pretty hungry (your mom slipped in a bite at 12:00 noon) and Doug and I were well-armed with "Marathons", "Forever Yours", Tootsie Rolls--in both the large and small sizes. Your dad (a Dr. Pepper freak--if I ever saw one--was in our good hands. Between the labor and waiting rooms we slipped mouthfuls of the aforementioned into your ole dad. Your mom was in the labor room from 9:45 that morning with slight contractions. About 12 noon her contractions came 8 minutes apart. At two they were 6 minutes apart, and around 3:30 she was having contractions at 2 minute intervals. Your mom by this time seemed to be fighting the pain and/or was not breathing properly. Amazingly your dad stepped in (without having child-birth lessons)and coached your mom into the right breathing techniques. Oh I'm sure the doctor or nurse told him a little bit of what he should do about breathing right. Well, sweetheart, during this time your two grandmothers walked in and out to check on your mom. Your aunts' Amy and Kelly were wandering about the waiting room. We took your dad out to eat a hamburger at Burger King around one o'clock and later he and Doug went to the bank at about three-fifteen. Well, something to do between contractions. I should mention, that besides you, there were three other sets of parents having babies also. You were not alone. Uncle Eric arrived about 4:00 p.m., then Uncle David around 4:30. They left to pick up Eric's wife and came back at 5:30 p.m. At this time we were really frantic. Everybody was pacing!! I had ot seen your mom and wanted very badly to make sure she was okay. I read a book while I waited, as Doug read comic books. Finally your Grandma Wilson came up to me and asked if I was your mom's sister. Puzzled a little I nodded and said yes. She said "good" and together we went to see your mom. Well Little Lady, your mom was the most beautiful mom in that whole hospital. She lay in Labor Room 2 with your dad on her right. I walked in very relieved and extremely excited to see the one by whom you were to be born. She looked very calm and relaxed. Although she had thrown up some and the contractions were immensely painful, she looked great. She lay in bed with the covers pulled up the bed to her shoulders. The hospital gown was white with blue flowers. Your dad wore blue jeans and a yellow t-shirt. The room was a little small with pale orange walls. I stayed only a second, long enough to wish her luck, and tell her I loved and was praying for you all. I gave her a finger kiss and left. My fingers ached a little from being crossed for the three of you. I have to mention that on that day, there were the most babies born at one time on January 20th, 1978. Also, the moms in the Labor rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4 were named (in order): Debbie, Tressia, Debbie, and Teresa! All the more confusing was that the other Teresa was also named Teresa Lynn (Bates). Your grandmas' just hoped that you all wouldn't get mixed up--no problem though. Everyone knew the "only girl" was Tressia Lynn and William Bryan Jarvis' little daughter. Well Debbie in Room 3 was first to have a baby (they were racing). She had an 8lb 3/4oz little boy. Next, in went Bridget's sister, Debbie of Room 1, to have another 8lb boy. Well at about 6:25 your dad and mom were whisked off to the labor room and you were born at 6:39--and you weren't even spanked. Your dad left the delivery room to come tell us. He walked extremely proud--as a father walks--steady and sure, yet holding in tons of emotions. He held the smask and cap in his hand as he announced the arrival of a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Your grandmothers cried and we cheered. Anxiously we turned to the big windows to see you. After what seemed forever a nurse appeared with a pink flannel blanket, in which nestled a tiny 7lb 1 oz baby girl. She showed us your face, then dropped the blanket from your front, in order to disprove any doubt about your sex. Then you were placed in an incubator to be examined. After you, the other Teresa had her 9lb 13oz baby boy. So, by the time you were one hour old, you already had the boys swarming around you--not to mention the 'aunts', 'uncles', 'grandmas', and 'grandpas' and the wishes of those who could not come. Your mom went back to the Labor Room to wait for a hospital room. Your dad joined you mom. There and then we each (grandma's & pa's Wilson and Jarvis) come to talk to your mom. I finally was able to see her. I tied one of the three blue bows I wore for you guys into her hair. We talked of the baby (you), how it felt, how hungry and tired your mom was, and other things. Later, Aunt Amy and Kelly & Uncle Doug crowded in also. We talked and laughed till a nurse came to throw us out. I was able to stay a few more minutes, told your dad and mom how happy we were for them, and gave her two kisses on the forehead for Doug and I. I left with two blue bows in my hair. During the time I was with your mom I liked to keep a hand on her shoulder or blanket. It was reassurance that everything was all right and that it was really happening. You were later brought to see your mom and dad in a pink blanket. You displayed ("visibly displayed") signs of hunger. Your mom later whispered that besides a smile on your dad's face, there were also tears in his eyes when he saw and held you. Later in the nursery the nurse filled out your card (to be placed in your hospital crib of clear plastic). I got a piece of notebook paper and wrote, "Could you put the name of the baby on her card"--Jennifer Marie. She made out a new card with your name on the card--and taped it to the incubator--no other baby had it's full name on his card. We all know who the most beautiful baby was. Your feet and hands were purple, but the rest of you was a beautiful pink. Your hair was a light brownish color, and your eyes were dark brown. All the others stayed purple or were very pale; you were very healthy and beautiful. By 10:00 you were no longer purple at all, just pure skin of pink-peach--absolutely perfect. A lady stopped to comment on you, her own 6 month old baby boy Aaron, in her arms. Doug fell in love with you instantly, to say the least for your own parents. Your great grandma's Hodges and Frazier were notified, along with Robbie, Jody, my mother, Melissa, Chris and Uncle Doug's parents. The whole world knew! Doug and your dad went out for your mom and her roommate some food!! I brushed your mom's hair while we waited for them. Your om was feeling great, and looked even better. She was very happy with Bryan and Jennifer written all over her face! Your dad came back, and definitely left--after your dad bade you good night with lots of love. We later bought him a Canadian Bacon Pizza and box of Cracker Jacks. The C.B. friends also congratulated your parents many times. Frosty Blonde asked if you were 'ugly like your daddy or pretty like your mommy"...You definitely were beautiful. Well, I am finishing this--I hope as you finally read this, it will answer questions you might ask--be good little one--and remember--the joy that shone on your mom's and dad's faces will shine forever because of their love for you--I say no more.

5 comments:

Mom said...

Happy Birthday! God Blessed me with such a sweet gift. Thank you God.

Jenn said...

From Monica Wilson via Facebook:

GREAT STORY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

Jenn said...

From Autumn Tupper via Facebook:

What a beautiful story, Jenn! You have been surrounded by so much love from the moment you were brought into this world, and you give that love out to everyone who is lucky enough to have known you-and we are all so much the better for it. Happy Birthday!

Jenn said...

From Peggy Fulbright via Facebook:

Happy Birthday!!!! Have a wonderful day.

WhitKnee said...

I know its a day later but Happy Birthday (again)!! I enjoyed reading your story and I love that you're keeping this journal, hopefully Brylee will get to read this when she's older.

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...