Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Holy Cold! It's Cow Outside!


For purposes of keeping this online journal, I have to report the weather. And all I have to say is, oh my!!!

Tuesday morning we woke up to sleet hitting our window, and when we got up, it was a winter wonderland! Except this winter wonderland is full of slipping and sliding.

For those who don't know, Texas gets cold weather, and the schools are usually closed down for one day due to ice on the road. Mid-day, the ice has melted, and the only fear are the bridges after work and once the sun goes down for the night.

Today is day 2 of no school and the roads are worse today than yesterday. Being that Cary and I are both stay-at-home parents currently, the day is typical except we cannot get out and about. We also have had a couple of days of hot cocoa to warm our little tootsies. Cary would usually try, too, but the roads are just too icy, with the high only being 18.

This day, however, is the oddest yet. We woke up at 6:45 to our power going out, only knowing because our smoke alarm beeped, waking us out of our slumber. At 7:00, we were woken again by several beepings of the smoke alarm, causing us to to jump out of our beds, disoriented, until I saw the clock blinking 12:00...and I told Cary that it was just the power going back on.

I felt foolish because in last October's fire safety skit, Radio demonstrated that when your smoke alarm goes off when you're asleep, you roll out of bed and crawl on the floor, not jump out and run around like a crazy person...we were the examples of how not to handle it properly! :o)

Once I got up, I saw on Facebook that the state is making rolling black-outs mandatory throughout the day due to an overload on electric systems. They are supposed to last no longer than 15 minutes, and fortunately for us, that has been the case today (4 times so far). However, I saw on the news this morning that some people are experiencing the black-outs for hours at a time. I am so grateful that we haven't dealt with that!

Mom had quite a day yesterday, and you can see it on her blog here. I cannot say how thankful I am that she does not have her car today, because I know she would have attempted to go into work, even though I feel it is far smarter that she doesn't. She told me just now that the apartment complex her car is stuck at (with steep inclines to enter and exit through) refuses to sand the paths because someone had slipped on the sand a few years ago and sued them. I say that they will be sued if cars slide into each other and get damaged...I get that they are trying to protect themselves, but by refusing to sand is not a good way to handle their situation. The least they could do is post notices on each door before bad weather stating that the residents need to make other arrangements because they will not sand. Or fix the inclines at the exits...or perhaps open another exit that is not on an incline. Not smart, guys. I will not be afraid to tell you that, either...

Anyways, rant over, and now to go check on the brownies that Cary begged me to bake. Hey, if we are going to be stuck indoors, might as well make a party of it, huh?

Everyone, please stay safe out there!!!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...