Tuesday, February 22, 2011

29 Pictures Say A Thousand Miles

Texas:

Yummy big breakfast with my parents at Ham And Eggs. We then say a very tearful goodbye to them and our baby and head out on the road.

Underneath these fashionable sunglasses are some very wet eyes

Texas and Oklahoma become a blur with how flat the land is

A unique site in Oklahoma:

Swung into Kansas for a cache at this site:


And into Missouri to reach our destination for the night. A little more hilly in these parts


Got a kick out of the road signs for miles and miles talking about this gift shop and candy store. No, we didn't stop in, but I would have loved to! I teased Cary that we had to turn back and go back to Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas for souvenirs for Brylee. He told me he'd meet me at our final destination...

Beautiful 50 degree weather in Missouri. Couldn't ask for better!

At treat! We stopped in St. Louis and visited the famous arch. It was a very impressive sight, one I never thought I'd be excited to see!





Lunch at White Castle in Illinois, a treat for all 3 of us! We sat outside because of Chester, and despite the wind, it was a beautiful day!

I never realized how flat Illinois was!

The world's largest cross located in Effingham, IL!


When we stopped to get our stately cache, Cary let Chester off-leash. I have seen the dog so happy in a while. He loved to run through the water puddles, and we even caught him once about to roll in it. Such a goof!

Welcome to Indiana! We stopped at a La Quinta here for the night, only to wake up to rain the next morning!

Here we started to see snow on our 3rd day of driving. Patches here and there, and then it steadily grew heavier and heavier, mixed with plenty of ice!


Went on a side trip to Ohio to grab a 'quick' cache, which was the beginning to the more interesting days on the trip so far!


Here's where we grabbed the cache, and I happened to get my SUV stuck...and thankfully Cary was able to get it out! And of course, I was too worried about staying out of the way of the big vehicle to grab my camera and snap a few pics!

Back on the interstate after we slipped around on the side roads. The interstate was not too bad, thankfully! But I think we may have officially been in a blizzard...


The line to pay the toll to cross the bridge to get into Canada. It took 30 minutes or more to get from here through the border patrol. Let's just say our lady was very nice, but very thorough!


Never seen Celsius like this before! Kilometers are also interesting. Fortunately our speedometer has the mileage as well as kilometers to figure out both speed and distance!


Day 4: the big troubles begin. My car had a light come on "Reduced Engine Performance" along with a "Check Engine" light. Oh boy...should have stayed in bed today! Instead of driving to Niagara Falls and New York for the night, we spent our day praying that the car would stay intact long enough for us to get from a mechanic, to a Volvo dealership in London, and then to another dealership in Waterloo, Ontario.

We are stuck another night in Canada, with no access to our phones due to the roaming charges, but I don't think Chester cares. This is the first time he's had both of his parents to himself this long since little Brylee was born. And he's loving every bit of it!


Dinner and a little walking in Waterloo, Ontario:


Please say lots of prayers for us that all goes well and we can get back to the States tomorrow evening!!!!!

Miles traveled so far: 1300-ish
Miles to go: 674-ish
(More to come)

16 comments:

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

From T-Ma via Facebook:

I know you want to be on the road soon, but I want them to be sure that your car is running well for the rest of the trip. I would hate to beat you to your new home. LOL

Jenn said...

From Brad via Facebook:

I hope so too.

Jenn said...

From Autumn via Facebook:

Fingers crossed for you!

Jenn said...

From Heather Fortenbury via Facebook:

Hope everything goes smoothly.

Jenn said...

From Mary Gay via Facebook:

Was today a better day for you'll? I kept you in my prayers last night

Jenn said...

From Cary via Facebook:

Seems like I was just there.

Jenn said...

From Mary Gay via Facebook:

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe & keep the pics coming. Hope tomorrow is a better luck day for you. :)

Jenn said...

From Kim via Facebook:

What's a great adventure without a little stress on the side!!! We will join you in praying that you make it out of Canada with your car intact tomorrow. Did you like White Castle??? We are looking forward to having that in Cincy!!

Jenn said...

From Tammy Britton via Facebook:

oh no{{PRAYING}} hope you make it better with tom:) ps-white castle makes me gag-everything tastes like onions...LOLOLOL

Jenn said...

From T-Ma via Facebook:

I know Chester is LOVING being the only child right now. Wonderful pictures of him playing in the snow. I printed off one for Brylee to kiss on. She loves her Chester!

Jenn said...

From Isa Sanchez via Facebook:

sending happy thought s and prays your way-TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES AT Niagra Falls =)

Jenn said...

via Facebook:

Hope we get to visit. It might be a quick get out and glance long enough to let Chester go to the restroom (with the rushing water, it might have to make me go, too!), but I am looking forward to it!

Jenn said...

From Anne Schleiffer via Facebook:

Jenn said...

From Marti Kuhle via Facebook:

be careful and have fun !!!

Jenn said...

From Brad via Facebook:

oh no!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...