Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh Internet, How I've Missed You!!!

It's amazing what you have to subject yourself to when you have no cable or internet. Like read a book. Or drive around a brand new town. Gives me chills just thinking about it. ;o)

So much has happened since arriving in Maine. You saw the last post that my parents brought Brylee and spent the weekend with us. Retrieving them at the airport in itself was a big adventure, as an ice storm came in that morning, so we experienced rain, ice, and snow all the way through to Boston and back...and the 2 1/2 hour trip back home took 4 hours, ending in the dark and none of us could really enjoy the view. And Cary later reported that the car had no traction from all of the ice on the road.

Saturday was Cary's birthday. This was definitely the most low-key birthday Cary has had, at least since I have been around. But with the chaos of everything, I hope he still enjoyed it. I was able to make a chocolate cake at the last minute, and while it wasn't his dad's homemade cake with candy icing, it was tasty. We'll just have to make the real deal soon!

We had lunch at the Black Horse Tavern, which serves a mean boursin cheese burger...tasty! Afterwards, Cary was nice enough to drive my parents and us to North Conway, a town in New Hampshire that is known for some good stores, including L.L. Bean and the Christmas Loft. My family really seemed to enjoy the latter, and didn't have time to go to the former.

Cary's presents for this year were a Wii and a grill. My parents got us a Wii fit console for a housewarming gift, perfect to help pass away time while we have no cable, internet, and it is icy outside!

I have gotten to explore the Main Street in town on an afternoon off, thanks to the greatness that is my father-in-law. I went into a party supply store and a craft store that takes up residence in an old church. I shopped, bought, and felt just a little guilty afterwards....just a little! I also took the opportunity to visit the town's vet and meet some of the nicest people ever.

Since getting here, it has snowed, melted the snow on the patio, and then refroze...only to snow again. Oh the joys of something other than heat!!!!

Brylee has been an absolute character as I am trying to get back into the swing of things as a stay-at-home mom with no partner-in-crime to help out. While staying with my parents, she learned how to 'bacha', which is a short way of saying that she sounds like a chicken doing the "Charge" song you hear at a sports event. If she starts getting fussy, all I have to say is 'bacha', and she instantly starts right up. And she loves to do it whenever she talks to her t-ma and poppy.



She and I also visited the library last Friday for their story time, which was Dr. Seuss featured for the week. We sang songs (her favorite for now is itsy-bitsy spider), listened to stories, and did a little craft (colored a paper Dr. Seuss hat). This Friday the subject is music, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they have!

T-ma created some picture books before Brylee came up here, full of pictures of some of her favorite people, so she can see them whenever she wants. I have the same idea, but I'm going to frame a lot of pictures of her with her friends and family so she can see them there as well. I have yet to get the frames, but it will happen eventually...or at least the intentions are good!


T-Ma sent us a surprise bouquet of flowers and a balloon last week, just telling us that they are thinking of us. It was wonderful, and Brylee loves her balloon, and I love my flowers. Sometimes I still get teary-eyed looking at them, just for missing my parents and the distance. But they are coming again for Easter, and we are planning on going there in May!

We finally purchased Cary's new grill last weekend, after a delay from a trip to the store due to weather, and since then, we have grilled hot dogs (surprise surprise) twice. And he is a master grill chef! I just need to find him an apron that says so! I can't wait for the nicer weather to come up so we can grill out more often, and hopefully get patio furniture and company to go with it!

Brylee and I went and met our connected neighbors (a.k.a. #4) last week, taking over some cookies. I wanted to meet them and let them know that Brylee is going through a screaming stage (thanks T-ma ;o) ) and let them know that we are working on it. It is a very nice family, and they told us about a birthday party they were having on Sunday for their niece. On Sunday evening, we received a knock on our door, only to see the nice man holding a plate with a large piece of spice cake on it...oh how much I love that cake!

An extra note is that neighbors known as #2 have put a bad taste in my mouth right away. Brenda and Gary were wonderful and came over for the movers to bring in our furniture as we were doing our road trip, only to be approached by the Mrs. of #2, whom in calm words proceeded to tell Brenda that she was parked in their personal space and needed to move the car. And while that was sufficient enough for Brenda to try to move her car, the Mrs. continued with the same complaint...for several moments. I told my family that I would send them cookies, too, by tossing them over the snow hill that bordered us...just so I wouldn't have to endure the same annoyance for trespassing...

What a fun adventure it has been so far, with good times, and sad times. But so far, no bad times. Just things to look forward to!

I would like to say a big Thank You to the following:


(and Bill and Ivan for the awesome gift!!!!)






And especially to you, GG, for helping me have my moments outside of toddler-hood!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...