Friday, December 14, 2007

The Day Before...

This day I had off from work.

Why? Well, obviously, to spend my last hours as a single person preparing for the most important day of my life this far!

I woke up at 7:30 a.m. Wide awake, no chance to go back to sleep.

Again, Why?

Because it suddenly dawned on me that I did not really have anything nice to wear to the rehearsal or rehearsal dinner tonight. Although I wanted to make the scenario as casual as possible, I did want to look nice for Cary, our family, and for the night. So mom and I trekked off to JCPenney around 8:30 to get the last minute clothing for tonight.

When we finished there, mom and I made it to the manicurists for our mani and pedi. While I sat in the chair (Am I the only one who does not enjoy the massaging chair?!) I got a call from my Maid-of-Honor, Katie. She was almost to Lewisville from Austin!!! I was so excited to get to see her again.


When she got there and I was finished with the manicure and pedicure, I drove her off to visit friends at our old job. I've seen Bridezilla, and I know a lot of brides want to be pampered and catered to on their rehearsal day...However, I wanted her to rest from her drive, and everyone seemed to enjoy seeing her again.


After saying hello to the gang at VCA, it was lunch time! Katie, mom and I met dad at Chipotle and enjoyed a quick meal there. Then it was off to pack the decorations and drive to the hotel.


Mom had strict instructions for me, but poor Katie had a rough task at hand: getting me to relax and take a nap. But after we checked into the hotel room, I refused to listen to her and bounced around, continuing to try to find some way to help everyone for the room setup.


As we were getting our luggage into our room, Katie and I ran into Kathie, Erica, Austin and Gangy, who were in the process of checking into the hotel for Kim, who was on her way up to Dallas from the Woodlands with Addison and Reagan. Apparently, Kim was having a bit of car troubles, and they wanted to make sure she was able to get into the room comfortably.


Katie finally convinced me to take a nap around 4:00. For those who don't know me, I LOVE TO TAKE NAPS!!!

So, why wasn't I so ready to take one now?

Hmmmm... I wonder. :o)

But it wasn't so easy to just lay on the hotel bed and fall asleep.

Maybe it was because of the super firm mattress.

Maybe it was because I could not find Athena at home before leaving for the hotel to tell her 'goodbye' (it was really hard to not bring my cat with me on this new adventure).

Maybe it was because it was bright light outside (despite the drizzly weather).

But whatever it was, I had to go through the process of turning on classical music to try to relax. Somehow, but I'm not quite sure how, I managed to doze for a short time.


About 1 hour after falling asleep, I woke up hearing Katie out in the hallway talking, so I got up, already fully energized and met her out in the hallway. She was talking to Beth, our other friend, (whom I considered to be my honorary maid-of-honor) who was still in Austin at work.

Well, feeling refreshed (and slightly excited) I decided to run down the hallway, of course stopping to look out the window at the end. It was still a drizzly, grey afternoon. A hint of possible snow was in the forecast. To me, it was perfect!


I turned around to run down the other length of the hallway, but I suddenly remembered that mom, Katie, and a few friends had been busy downstairs decorating the room that we are to be married in. So I took a sharp right turn and down the elevator to the first floor.


When I got to the room, I saw what was once ideas in the mind become real. There were 2 small christmas trees and an arbor at the front, decorated simply, but absolutely beautifully (thanks to Donna for the hard work and creative genius!). There were several round tables in the room with white tablecloths, and the centerpieces I worked hard on in (where else?) the middle! I actually got to chip in and help lay out the favors, red and blue Christmas ornaments, on the tables.

Not long after I had adjusted to the fact that this was the room my life was changing in, I heard Katie run in shouting, "Have you seen the bride?! I have lost the bride!!!". We all got a good laugh when she saw me and pretty much scolded me for leaving her site.

Hey! She was doing her loyal duty of making sure I didn't get cold feet!







Fast forward 1 1/2 hours:

It was time for the rehearsal, and Pastor Brad, his wife Teresa, and our families all gathered around to see what needed to be done. Pastor Brad holds to the tradition that the bride does not participate in the rehearsal by walking down the aisle. So my future sister-in-law, Faith, stepped in for me. It worked well because her daughter and husband were part of the wedding party!

It didn't take long for all of us to get through the rehearsal, as it was laid back and casual. So now, it was on to dinner at Bruno's!

Cary did want to see the suite that Katie, Beth, and I were sharing for then night, so along with Helen, we went upstairs to show him. It was a fun task (well for a hyper adult at least) to try to keep him from seeing the wedding dress. And Helen did a good job of assisting. I'm going to love being an aunt!

Driving out to the restaurant, poor Helen kept asking if we were lost, and if Uncle Cary knew where he was going. She was so worried we wouldn't get there!


At Bruno's, a good time was had by all (at least it seemed like that was the case). Attending with us was (and I did keep this in order around the table!):

Gary, Brenda, Helen, Mema; Teresa and Brad Kenney; John Dahlvig; Melissa, Jeff, and Regina Christenson; Faith, Brad, Mom, Dad, and Katie.

We had some gifts for the attendants (Katie a flipable picture frame set, Brad a pen set for his desk, and Helen a star case to hold jewelry and other small treasures). Brad and Faith gave Cary and I books: Power of a Praying Husband/Wife. *Note*: 11 months into the marriage and reading them (slowly), they really are a great gift for anyone!


After dinner, I gave Katie the boot (she rode with Cary and I to the restaurant) and Cary and I went out what was a very brief tour of Christmas lights in a nearby town. He then drove me to a small parking lot overlooking a park in Coppell where we had once sat and talked.

It was a cool, brisk evening, and I felt excitement and nerves racing all through me. In 12 hours, we were going to be married!

While in the parking lot, Cary told me to close my eyes, and as with all moments like this, he gave me a gift--a beautiful pearl necklace and matching pearl earrings! He even went through the task of making sure they were all white gold, as he knows I'm not a fan of yellow gold! How could I not marry this man???!!!

Not too long after he gave me the gifts, he drove me back to the hotel for the night. I was so sad leaving him but, alas, it would only be for a short time more!

Katie was waiting in the room when I got up there (I think we were on the 3rd floor) and so were chocolate covered strawberries and champagne! I didn't have any champagne, but the strawberries were delicious!

Beth arrived around 11:00 from Austin, and by the time she settled it, we were winding down for the night (hey--I had been awake since 7:30 and I knew the next day would be so busy! The 3 of us played a game of Chez Geek, but somehow Katie was falling asleep and she still won!
**NOTE: I have some great pictures of Katie and Beth while we played the game....however, I cannot find them at this time. I hope I find them and don't lose them permanently!!!

Around 11:45 Katie went off to bed with very strict instructions: You can't stay up more than 30 minutes! (hey--still doing her job as a Maid-of-Honor...good job, Katie!) That wasn't a problem because Beth and I pulled out the couch bed and fell asleep watching an episode of LOST (I think I barely made it through the opening credits...)

Goodnight all! Goodnight my last night as a Jarvis!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...