Monday, December 17, 2007

Monday, December 17, 2007

For some reason I woke up at 6:00 this morning.


Maybe because it was chilly inside the room (we left the window open to feel the brisk breeze).


Maybe it was because I was on vacation.


Maybe it was because I was a newlywed!


Or maybe it was because of the large 18 wheeler braking as he was going downhill across the river and the brakes were making an obnoxious noise.

**Note--this truck (or perhaps another) did this every morning while there...


So up we go! We ate breakfast (a tradition for Cary--eggs, biscuits, and sausage with a touch of maple syrup), bundled up, and drove to some shops across the (frozen) river and a little ways down from the house. One of the shops we visited was Simon Pierce, a shop that does glass blowing. The things they create are beautiful! And you could go downstairs and watch them do it as well. I wanted to buy some pieces (ornaments for our tree and souveniers), but I was afraid of how they would be transported home.


After warming up in there, we ventured out to the covered bridge (my first one!) and looked over at the frozen river. There is a waterfall just in front of the bridge which was, well, not falling. It made for great pictures though!


We drove to Queechee, a place that is famous for its Gorge. Well, the most I got to see of it was as we were driving over it...I looked out the best I could, but could only see a glimpse of its frozen depth. In other words, we didn't stop and walk to the bridge because the sidewalks were not cleared.


Shopping time! We stopped at a couple of shops in Queechee and found some shirts and other fun items. We went into a store that sold plates and kitchen decorations. We wanted to, but it wasn't open, go into the train/lunch box museum...How cool would it have been to see nothing but a bunch of lunchboxes?!!!! (that is not sarcasm--I can't wait to go back and see it!)


After doing some shopping Cary drove us around a bit to little towns like Sharon, North Pomfret, and South Pomfret. The area is so beautiful! And with the freshly fallen snow, it felt like magic in the air.

The route we made took us in a circle and we found ourselves back in Woodstock conviently around lunch time. We took a moment to stop at a beautiful white church that has one of Paul Revere's bells in the front. This is a historical place, but I think I was most excited when I found pink and blue snow...I know it was from some chemical to help melt the snow, but you see white snow, yellow snow, and even brown/black snow, but not these pretty colors!!!




We decided to eat lunch at a little sandwich shoppe in Woodstock's square. This place was known for their "Mile High Apple Pie". I had a grilled cheese sandwich, but didn't eat much, but some of that is due to the fact that I never eat much while on vacation.


We visited some of the shops after eating, just doing a little 'window shopping' and enjoying the small town feel that is Woodstock. One of the stores had a bunch of games in the basement for sale, and Cary and I found one that we could play together: Hoopla. We also bought a deck of cards in case that game was not enough entertainment (there were no other games in the entire house!).



We then went back to the house to play the game. One of my favorite things about this game (and it was perfect for a honeymoon) was that you play with the other people as a team against the timer. So instead of competing, we were trying helping each other. It was a great way to pass the time together.




That evening we drove out to a restaurant that Cary had eaten at the previous summer: East Ender. We wanted to go and eat dinner, and perhap have dessert, but when we got there, we saw that they were closed. :o( We opted to go back to the house and finish off the pizza for dinner (and enjoy a little Ben & Jerry's as well!)

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...