Monday, May 23, 2011

What Is Vacation Without A Little Clowning Around?

While planning our trip to Dallas, Cary and I had the intention of trying to help out with the LAFS conference happening that Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. But other plans happened, more or less.

On Wednesday, mom suggested to dad that I play puppeteer for the Mission Safety skit that Ashes and Radio was to put on Friday. I agreed, having done it twice before, once for a school, and the other while they were video taping the show.

Brylee and her daddy watching the rehearsal:









Dad and Jeff won the Brian Collins Memorial Award this year. This award goes out to the person/people who commit so much of themselves to helping others. I think these 2 definitely deserve it!

The neat story for this: we had hung around the conference briefly on Wednesday and Thursday, and as Cary, Brylee, and I were leaving to go take care of Vader and then eat, one of the McKinney clowns stopped us and told us that he really thinks we should stick around for just about 5 more minutes. I asked if a camera was needed for this 'sticking around', and he nodded yes. So Cary, Brylee and I headed back inside, camera in hand for wait for the special award to be given out!


















On Friday, little L'Ashes made an appearance to the conference! Once she came out of her little shell (when we sang "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" as well as "If You're Happy And You Know It"), she was the hit of the show. Whoever thought something so little and 'cute' would bring several men to a circle to watch her play and dance? They were even sweet enough to let her play with some of their props!




































































Even because she was so cute, even her daddy got to play with props!













And now for some fun pictures from the day. The real guest star was Larry, a very recently ex-Ringling Bros. clown. He has always been really kind to the clowns whenever Ringling Bros. hosted a clown college for the Fire Safety clowns, and even made sure to say 'hello' to them when they were not in clown garb last year at the circus. A real nice guy, who even let Brylee sit in for a couple of the pictures.





























































And now for the performance mentioned at the beginning of the post. Radio told me that Larry had other arrangements for the day, but made it a point to come out to the conference and to stay around long enough to see the Lewisville skit. And when I found this out, I became slightly nervous...I'm doing part of a skit with a professional performer in the audience...this is definitely a first!!! (well, except for the time I found out Emmitt Smith came to see a Lewisville Fighting Farmer football game, but what are the chances he really watched the Marching Band half-time show???)

See the hand holding the 'U'? That's me! Along with holding up the letters 'L', 'C', 'E', and 'U', I also was Mrs. Dousefire. Should have taken a picture of her behind the curtain with me. We usually have some kind of conversation before going on. You know, the typical 'check' stuff...hair combed, glasses on straight, fresh breath...










And finally, a tight shot of what it looks like behind the puppet curtain for me. Didn't take any more photos, which I regret...but I bet I'll have more opportunity!









On with the show!

1 comment:

WhitKnee said...

I'm glad you, Cary, and Brylee got to come out for the week. It was great seeing yall. And you did an awesome job as Mrs. Dousefire!! =)

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...