Sunday, March 1, 2009

Celebration Weekend

This weekend we stayed so busy, and it started on Thursday, Cary's official birthday...

Cary and I both worked on Thursday, so after work we drove out to Love and War In Texas in Grapevine. This is a steak restaurant, that is now in the same location as the old Trail Dust. I miss Trail Dust, and the numerous times I went down the huge slide with my cousins!

We stuffed ourselves silly with food (including appetizers and dessert for once!), Cary getting the Hunt, Texas:
THE HUNT, TEXAS--A Hill Country mixed grill. A marinated, mesquite grilled South Texas Nilguy Antelope Filet, Smoked Venision Sausage, and Grilled Quail. Served with garlic whipped potatoes and Texas Caviar. The "Texas Caviar" is a serving of cold black-eyed peas!
I got the chicken/beef fajitas. I have always wanted to get fajitas at a restaurant, but it is usually the most expensive thing on the list, but not this time! So I tried it, and in truth, not that impressed. I love the homemade ones so much more!

On Friday, as you could see in earlier posts, I went running around like crazy, starting at 7:30 a.m., trying to get everything taken care of for the surprise party. I managed to do the major cleaning and grocery shopping in the morning (don't open the freezer Cary--the 5 containers of Breyer's Ice Cream might tip something off!), have lunch with Cary (Hang Out Deli--yum!), and then after he left for work again, I flew out the door to go to my parents' house where previously-bought party items were stored. After that, a stop at Party City for some trees (a.k.a. balloons), and then on home to start decorating and cooking!

I was very impressed with how well the pretzel dogs turned out--though next time I know I can use less to wrap around each sausage/hot dog!

Around 6:00 that evening, I was sitting down, alone in the apartment (well, Chester was pre-occupied trying to get the helium balloons), when Cary called to say that he was on his way home after the exam.
"How long until you get here?"
"About 15 minutes..." EEK!!! Did I mention that I was the only 'shipwrecked' there??? About 5 minutes after the call, in walked Brenda and Gary, who helped me with a little additional setting up, and then mom and dad, with the 'Saved Items' (things I had forgotten earlier--like the punch bowl...). WHEW! That was a close one!

While everyone sat and chatted, I continued my setting up and getting ready for the food. Though I was in the kitchen finishing up the 'blue lagoon' punch when he walked in, everyone says he was surprised...
The evening consisted of eating (homemade pretzel dogs--go me! and banana/brownie ice cream splits--good job Brad!), opening gifts (Cary is very loved!), and playing games (inflatable ring toss game that Chester deflated 2 rings--with his teeth!, and Apples to Apples).

Let me tell you--Chester did not appreciate becoming a native at first. He does not like grass skirts! (I guess its a little too feminine for him) But not long after it went on, it came off (and Helen got it!) and he was content with the lei that around his neck...

By the end of the night, everyone was full and tired. I hope that it means it was successful!!

On Saturday, Cary and I visited the American Airlines Museum (C.R. Smith), which was the first visit for me--I really like it! It helped me understand flight a little better, to help me get over my flying fear, and hopefully all the knowledge Cary has given me will help me relax for the flight to Europe. but the museum was very fun and informative. And I got to see model airplanes of the ones Cary used to fly!

We also went on a mission to find books at University of Texas at Arlington, nearly getting myself in danger of squishing from the mobile shelves (thank goodness Cary was there to 'lock' the shelves in place!), and then we went to Whole Foods market to get coffee beans for Cary to test his new grinder on.

After that, we got to the apartment, where I blissfully slumbered (did I mention I had a busy day before?!?!) for a little bit until 5:00 when it was time to go to my parent's house for game night.

Game night this month consisted of mom, dad, Cary, myself, and good ol' Uncle Bill. It was great to just kick back and enjoy a fun evening of baked potatoes, more ice cream (we generously donated the remaining from the surprise party), Apples to Apples, and Cranium Play-off...

On Sunday, Cary, Chester and I went to Brenda and Gary's (did I mention I have the greatest in-laws ever?!?!) and ate chicken enchilada casserole, cinammon rolls, and Cary showed off his new grinder and espresso machine.

It was a very busy weekend, with a nice walk/jog to help us wind down. Now on to another busy week!

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Cary! Jenn-looks like you did a great job getting everything ready! What a neat theme for a birthday party!!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...