Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The House That Grandpa Built (Or A Weekend Of Olympic-Sized Proportions Part II)


So now for the second part of a weekend that happened 2 weekends ago. With a twist.

For as long as I can remember, my grandfather owned some land out in Cedar Creek, right on the edge of the lake, and you can look out and see a golf course on the other side. On that land for a few years sat an old house on stilts. With stairs leading up that you had to watch your step. And I don't even want to think about the time mom found the scorpion in the bathtub...

I don't remember what year it was, or how old I was (if I knew my age, then I could easily calculate the year!) when Grandpa and Barbara built a beautiful house in it's place. Large rooms and closets, the kitchen makes me envious with the cabinets, countertops, stove, and island.

The yard was luscious and green, no worries about walking around barefoot and getting stickers or splinters. And a dock that housed a boat and jet skis. Oh the most glorious jet skis! That boat and those jet skis provided hours and hours of entertainment for the Jarvis clan. Christmas time was the only time we would go and not be distracted by them. Instead, it was the presents!

This weekend, though, we all gathered for another reason. No jet skis, no presents. Just time with our family. And going through Grandpa and Barbara's things.

Now, I noticed that this looks worse than it is. We went through their stuff because that house on Cedar Creek Lake is going up for sale. As depressing as that is for us, I see a very good thing as well: Grandpa and Barbara are moving closer to us. This means that we will be able to see them more often!

This house needs a far better, more emotionally tied post to it, and there will be one. I need to dig through pictures to help tell the story better.

For now, though, since this post is so far past due, I will leave it with this weekend recap. On top of the trip out to the house that Grandpa built, a GPS that we are determined is out to get us, and Barbara meeting little Brylee for the first time, we went home that night for me to suddenly get sick (the 'big' surprise). I left poor Cary to care for Brylee and get ready for the work week.

A couple of days later, all 3 of us stayed home from work and daycare. Brylee was the best out of all of us, only spitting up her food occasionally. The whole week was plagued with illness and exhaustion. Hence the way late post.

I promise to write more about this wonderful house that hosted so many gatherings, celebrations, holidays, and more. Though the house may not be Grandpa's much longer, the memories will be, and I want to make sure Brylee can grow up understanding just how great this place is. It is far more than just a house.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

From Clay Barker via Facebook:

Jet skis

Jenn said...

From T-Ma via Facebook:

They had the house built in 1990. We did have some really fun times there! Maybe we can get in 1 more before it sales.

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...