Monday, May 25, 2009

Running With (Or Away From?) The Clowns

On Saturday, Dallas had its first Red Nose Run, which was put together by the Ringling Bros. & Barnum & Bailey Circus! And guess who were special guests/sponsers? Well, yes, of course, the Clowns of the B&B Circus, but also the Lewisville Fire Department Safety Clowns!!!


What a fantastic time for Ashes, Radio, and Petunia, as well as their 'fan club'/photographers, Cary and myself!

It started with Cary and I waking up at 5:15 a.m. (hey! Ashes and Petunia woke up at 3 a.m. to start getting ready--ON A SATURDAY!!!), going to McDonald's for breakfast (Starbucks was closed) and then Chester getting the shock of his life, when 3 clowns walked into his territory...he started barking but then Petunia spoke, and I could see the wheels cranking in his head, "Hey! I know that voice! That's my T-Ma!"

After another quick stop at Starbucks for Radio to get some grubbage, and Cary and I run next door for some candy (for Radio and my little Peanut), we were on our way to the fabulous Downtown Dallas.

When we got there at 7:00, we met up with Mark, another clown, and went to the tiny square in between all the skyscrapers, and started the socializing.

I had to ask Ashes and Radio, "When you were in high school, did you ever think that you would be surrounded by a ton of high school cheerleaders when you were ___ years old?" (I never reveal a clown's age!) There was a squad of girls out there, and as soon as they saw the clowns, nearly every single one of them insisted on a photo with them...the guy clowns were in heaven!



Around 8:00 the square was full of life, and many getting ready to go. Cary and I did our best to keep up with the 3 clowns, but sometimes it just was not possible. Let's just hope some awesome photo opportunities did not get away from us!

Finally, the Ring Master of the Greatest Show On Earth came onto the stage to help get everyone stretched and warmed up. He was quickly taken over by the 'boss clown' who led the warm up, and other Circus clowns and Petunia did warm up exercises to entertain the crowd.




One race was started (which I believe was a walking one), and then at about 9:30, a very large crowd started lining up for the big Red Nose Run. Let me tell ya: One of these days, I will love to participate in a run (by actually running/walking), but it is so much fun being surrounded by a group of clowns, the Ring Master, and getting to stand in the middle of a downtown Dallas street and not get into trouble, because I am taking photos of the event!

Once the race started (I got video of all of the runners running past the Ring Master, who dared not to move or would get run over), there were tv interviews, one where the 'boss clown' pulled Ashes in for part of it, clowns teaching Dallas police officers how to balance things on their noses or chins, and then disappearing clowns....

What?! Disappearing clowns??? Yeah. I spent a few minutes looking for Radio, wanting to make sure he was not too hot or dehydrated. He was found (with Ashes) inside the break tent, where the Circus clowns were chilling--yay! All was well, so I continued walking around and watching the run as people were coming around.

When the racers got across the finish line (they did it in great timing--I can't imagine doing that...but someday!) the clowns came out to entertain, as did some young contortionists and a hula hoop girl. And then the prizes started going out to the runners.

By this time, I was pooped, and I was ready to go home and find the comfy couch to sleep on (hey! I did wake up at 5:15!) The Fire Safety Clowns were presented with gifts from the Ringling Bros. for being there and helping to entertain during the morning. They were very generous gifts, including a t-shirt, and a beautiful snowglobe.

The Circus Clowns have always taken care of Ashes, Petunia, and Radio (well, in the 2 years we have known them) and it is such an honor for them (and Cary and myself) to get to spend a day with them and to enjoy their antics away from the 3 rings. And I can't forget to mention the Ring Master is super cool--and tall!
I look forward to going to the Circus again this year, and hopefully seeing Ashes, Radio, and Petunia in the show again somehow. And even if it cannot happen, it is an honor for them, (and us!) to get the opportunity to rub elbows (and funny bones!) with some of the coolest clowns on earth!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...