Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brylee's First Easter

And what a 1st Easter it was! This child is truly blessed (and not because of all the candy and gifts she got, but because of her family).

I started off the holiday weekend by taking off on Thursday for Spring Cleaning. Now, growing up, I despised cleaning. I kept everything somewhat tidy, in hopes that I wouldn't have to do more than needed. Now I blame my mom for passing on some kind of disease, some kind of cleaning illness. I bet she wrapped it up in some tiny box and gave it to me as a wedding gift. I HAD to go through and clean the apartment, head to toe, with no one else there. Just Chester and me. I am happy, though, because I got everything checked off of my list, except for dusting. Whoo hoo!


On Friday, what was originally going to be a trip to Sulphur Springs to visit family, turned into a day of semi-lazy fun. Breakfast consisted of eggs, maple sausage, biscuits, and orange juice (a vacation staple for Cary's family that I made as an Easter 'gift' to him). We then visited the Observation tower at DFW airport, where even Brylee watched an airplane land. We took a couple of trips to some stores, and then just lazed around the house for the evening, enjoying a movie and no where to be.


On Saturday, Cary and I dropped off Chester at my parents' house and then met his parents up for the drive to Sulphur Springs. Brenda and Gary gave Brylee some of the cutest Easter gifts: rubber duckies, one with Bunny ears and tail on it, and some books for her to look at. Needless to say, I was more entertained by the gifts than she was (for now--she is getting more alert everyday!)







The trip was changed to this day because storms were supposed to be in on Friday, and we didn't want to travel during that. Brenda and I rode in the backseat, pretty much watching Brylee sleep the entire time (thank goodness-she slept going to and from!). We ate at Mema's, and then went outside into her back yard to take pictures of Brylee in her cute Easter dress. We got some cute pictures of her, but unfortunately the sun was shining pretty bright in her little eyes.

After driving home (with a quick stop at Mary's at Puddin Hill--Brylee isn't the only one who is spoiled--thank you Gary!), we headed over to my parents' house again to drop off Brylee for the night.

Mom was so excited about having her little grandbaby over for the night, and couldn't wait to give her all the Easter gifts she had. Her rewards? Chocolate, chocolate, more chocolate (yay me and Cary!), some quarters (time to get a piggy bank!), and some Easter books to read through. Cary and I were even spoiled with (yet more) chocolate. Ahh...the life of having a young one who can't eat solids yet!
Cary and I took an evening to relax and saw a movie, How To Train Your Dragon. It was a good movie--I enjoyed it!

After the movie, we went home to make Banana Pudding for the Easter gathering on Sunday. After that? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

On Sunday morning, Cary and I went to church (excellent service) and then to my parents' house again to pick up the kid and help transport things to my uncle's house. Only, they had already left! With everything! (including our kid, some of her toys, and our food!). So Cary and I drove to Bill's house and joined in the fun and entertainment.
Bill cooked a delicious ham, mashed potatoes, pork ribs, steamed veggies, and mom made broccoli rice casserole, Grandpa brought rolls and potato salad, and topped it off with banana pudding. What a meal!
The afternoon was spent watching everyone bowl on the Wii, having Brylee watch the fish in Bill and Ivan's saltwater aquarium, and catching up with family (Grandma Jarvis joined us for the delicious meal as well).

Needless to say, we went home tired. We did whatever we could to just hang out at the apartment all evening so that we could relax a little.

Brylee also managed to get from her parents some sidewalk chalk (I know, still a little young for it), some chicks for the egg game (putting them on spoons and trying to not drop them as you head for the finish line--still a bit young), and a silly snail that wiggles when you pull the string. And...candy. Yes, I know. We have enough for a while. No, no. We don't need anymore. Do you want some? We'll be glad to give it away...

Now for the post(s) I wanted to write regarding this most beautiful holiday:
I hope everyone took a moment to remember what the significance of Good Friday and Easter is. It's not about dressing up in your prettiest frocks, hunting bunnies hiding eggs, or eating lots and lots (and lots) of chocolate. Those are all fun, wonderful ways to spend a gorgeous day outside in Spring, but it is more than that. So much more.
Good Friday and Easter are what determined that even though we live life, it gave us the opportunity to LIVE.
Hallelujah--He is Risen!!!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

From Ramona Whitfield via Facebook:

You are a talented writer. I felt as though I hung out with your family for the weekend. Brylee is beautiful as ever. I still cannot believe how much she looks like you Jennifer!

Jenn said...

From T-Ma via Facebook:

What a beautiful family!

Jenn said...

From Autumn via Facebook:

I love that pic of you guys!

Jenn said...

via Facebook:

thank you guys!

Jenn said...

From Autumn via Facebook:

I have about 13 posts that I've done, and not published...I'm about to become an IT widow for a few days while Jim works on a project, so I really need to get the pictures added and get them up...they go back to October! I've been publishing to my recipe blog, but not too often. :( I'm missing you, BTW! If you guys have any free time on the weekends in the coming weeks, we would love to have you all over!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...