Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chester's Not So Fun Day

(photo by Whitney)

Friday evening, our Chester officially became a special needs doggie.

He was set to stay at his T-Ma and B-Pa's overnight on Friday-Saturday, and at 4:00, I got a phone call from mom saying that he had another seizure. This was his first in over 2 weeks, so I was bummed that we had to log it and start the count over again.

According to the log I keep, he started having seizures every week and 1 day, and then it spread out to every 2 weeks. We were thinking he was starting to level himself out.

But not long after this seizure, I got another phone call from mom, who told me that he had another 'mini' seizure. And not even 10 minutes later, another call. This one was bad; he had vomited, and also had blood coming from his mouth.

I advised to have dad (who had just gotten home from work) get Chester into the car (as safely as he could considering dogs in seizure mode might bite unintentionally) and immediately get him up to his vet. Cary and I jumped into our car and drove there immediately, calling the vet on the way to let them know what to expect.

When dad got there, we fortunately were already there, and Cary helped Chester out of the car as I went in to let the receptionist know we were there.

At this time, the vet was set to close in 15 minutes, and I am so grateful that we had the opportunity to get there, and not to the emergency vet, which would have been a much longer wait, and much more expensive.

Doctor Cowser, the vet on duty gave Chester a intramuscular shot which went into his system to help stop the seizure activity immediately. Then he talked to us about starting the poor mutt on medication after this 'cluster' of seizures.

So today, as our puppy relaxes on the floor at my parents' house, I am saddened to know that he had to deal with that situation. But I am so grateful that there is medication to help him, and I do hope this stops this problem.

But I have to constantly remember that we are blessed that this has happened to our family pet, and not one of the human beings that do, or will, get behind the wheel of the car. While I have been aware of this fact since December 2009 when Chester first started his seizures, I am still baffled by the fact that this happened to a friend of ours, when her husband had a seizure as he was driving. Thank the good Lord that no one was hurt, and the passenger was able to control the vehicle and get the car safely stopped!

So now it is time to go find a tag to print out that states that he is epileptic and hopefully he will do well on the medication. Hopefully as he adjusts to his medication, we will see a sign of that lovable, goofy mutt again!

3 comments:

TMA said...

It's OK. We have always had special 4 legged friends/family sent to us by God. God sent Chester to you two because he knew he would be in good hands.

Jenn said...

From Tammy Britton via Facebook:

oh{{HUGS}} So sorry that this happend-how scary-eh?{{HUGS}}I am glad he got in to see heh vet at reg hours and hopefully this med will help him-man-I can just imagine how scary it is for poor Chester as well-All my love and prayers going out to you all:)

Jenn said...

From Becky Stroud via Facebook:

So sorry to hear but so glad that he has your family. Love him, so many pups are not so lucky.

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...