Thursday, October 1, 2009

Saying Goodbye...

To #2614.

Cary's and my first home. (Warning: this post is long and sappy!)

Last night we put the original key into an envelope and deposited it into the apartment complex's mail slot. After we gathered the last of the items that we could get (minus a green pew. But that's another story...and may be below).

I have great memories of this place. From the moment I stepped into it, it has been a safe, fun haven that I will miss dearly.


The first time I was here, it was for a home team party, where we played Catch Phrase (that timer makes it such a stressful game!!). I liked Cary at that time, though our friendship was starting to bud, and I knew he wasn't looking for a relationship at that time. Or so I thought. A couple of weeks later, we started dating. (I brought him Fritos, his favorite chip, that night too!)



He first held my hand there, while we watched Finding Nemo. He also told me for the first time that he loved me there (a few months later!)




I got carried over (well, picked up over-- I have an issue with being carried) the threshold here at this apartment after our wedding and reception on December 15, 2007. The night we got home from our honeymoon, we sat on the floor to open 'just one gift' from our wedding...it turned into opening all of our gifts, and then looking through pictures, even though one of us wasn't feeling well!

We started making meals together in the very tiny, limited kitchen. Some of my favorites to make was the Wall-E and Pirate cakes, sopapilla cheesecake, and caramel apple pie. What a mess we (I) make!!!

I love the fall and winter (have I said that before?). Whenever we could, the back door would be opened so that the cool breeze could flow through. I even did that when it was snowing outside!




Then there are the many game nights where we would watch the sunset or a storm blow in. And Cary loved the view of the airplanes taking off and landing!


We made a big decision to get a dog in this small, comfortable space. That small puppy that was so scared to be away from his brother. What an emotional night for all of us!

Not to mention when we pulled poor Chester in the bathroom and sprayed him green so that he could be the Grinch for Halloween. He was so freaked out by what we were doing to him, but the best part was that the entire bathroom was flecked green afterwards!

One memory that is happy, but also painful was the time I cut my finger while making dinner (Plain Good). Cary made sure I was on the couch with something to eat so I wouldn't pass out, and then went out and bought bandages and a finger brace. He also brought home chocolate to help comfort me. But the week (or so) that I was healing, Cary took amazing care of me, rewrapping my finger everytime I needed it.

Coyotes apparently live in the large field behind our apartments. We could hear them many nights howling. Chester grew less and less interested as time went by. But when I didn't hear them for a long period of time, I became concerned that they had to move on. But they were there the last night we were!



I love to decorate for the holidays. Apparently the beginning and middle of the year isn't as big to me, but I love to pull out the decorations for Halloween, Fall, Thanksgiving, and of course, Christmas. Because of the limited storage space we had there, of course I tried to limit how much to decorate. But Christmas was so much fun!

I had a surprise party for Cary for his 34th birthday. Somehow we squeezed 8 of us into that confined area, with decorations, pretzel dogs, hot fudge sundaes, and a native dog...That is the most creative I think I have been for a birthday!



And now, we are preparing for our first child..The decision was a long, thought out one we made together, and that little home will be the memory for me as I remember my pounding heart when I took the home pregnancy test.



Though I'm looking forward to our new apartment (look out for pictures!), this place will always be our first home. There is a possibility of many more, and all will be special, but this one will of course be my first memory of Cary and the relationship that was built under it. Many nights of prayers and story reading together, as well as Cary studying while I made his coffee and snack...(I think he's spoiled!)

Goodbye #2416. Thank you for keeping us safe, dry, and the perfect place for newly-weds to get to know each other. May the future tennants see the same in your greatness. But now, it's time to close this chapter and open the new one in our lives.

Hello #1002!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Ohhhhhhh!

The Guess Family said...

you will be glad you wrote all that down! I have fond memories of all the places we lived. Most especially our house in the Woodlands, were we brought A and R home. Sometimes I see a pic of that place and my heart just aches. I can close my eyes and remember it perfectly. Sadly, the move was such chaos, I don't feel like I had a good chance to "say good-bye". I should remember your post and write things down as we move!

Autumn said...

That is so sweet, Jenn!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...