Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Box (And A Little Grandparent History)

Grandpa,

I want to thank you so much for the absolutely beautiful box you have made for me. It looks like it is so difficult to make, yet you sat down and made one for all of your grand-girls. Your talent is amazing. Along with the hope chest you made several years ago, it has been added to some of the greatest gifts I have ever received.

Thank you!!!

**for those who do not know my grandparents: I have incredibly talented and loving ones (not to mention A LOT!)

My Grandpa Jarvis is very talented with crafts, having made wooden toys and toy train fun for all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He is a quiet, serious man, but you can see the kid in him when he pulls out one of his latest creations that he has just created for the family he loves so much.

Then there's Barbara: she is amazing with sewing! Growing up, Kim, Erica, and I have had some of the neatest toys made from materials including a homemade Care Bear and nightgown. And all of the Christmas decorations on their tree are also made by Barbara. I'm going to have to take a few pictures to show you how truly talented she is.
Next is Grandma Jarvis: Her love for nature has helped me be fascinated with, rather than afraid of, critters big and small. The other evening, Cary, Chester, and I found a tarantula just cruising across the grass at our apartment complex. I was down on my hands and knees taking pictures. I wish now that I had picked it up and taken it to the field where it might have been safer.
My Grandma Wilson: Another very talented woman with many things. I grew up painting ceramics, watching her make dolls, and not to mention the numerous quilts she has made me so far. I still feel absolutely safe and warm in my pink and purple one she gave me several years ago for Christmas. I will be sad the day it is too thin and needs to be replaced...but I have others waiting for me!
Grandpa Wilson: What can I say about him? I think he is the original clown in the family. He finds everything funny, and I love when he sends us jokes and silly pictures. He and mom are ALWAYS giving each other a hard time--him about his bald spot and mom with her 'big' teeth. And forget about playing games--you have to explain things to him so much, you are creating a bald spot in your own head afterwards!

I have been truly blessed. I even have an 'adopted' grandmother, Gangy. She is Kim and Erica's grandmother, but she 'adopted' me and treats me like her own.
And then there is Mema and Granny, Cary's grandmothers, but I am still new to the family, and I hope there will be plenty of time to learn more about them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...