Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Busy weekend!


It's been a while since I last posted. Why, you ask? (come on--I know I can hear it!) Because this last weekend was pretty much go, go, go!

It started after a long week of painful back pains (you can see that post below), and then on Friday night Cary and I decided to finish our wall paintings (again, great story below!).

On Saturday, we woke up early (thanks, Chester) and drove to Dallas, where we circled the UTD campus looking for the bookstore so Cary could buy a required book for his Ethics class.

There was construction all around, so we couldn't quite get to the spot we were looking for (which happened to be about 30 feet from where we were at one point...grrr!!!). Anyways, it ended up being a fun adventure, driving in places that I don't think we were REALLY allowed to go...it took us about 1-1 1/2 hours, but we were in the bookstore maybe 10 minutes.

The real fun began afterwards, though, when we drove to downtown Dallas and made a day of fun by going to the King Tut exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. To me, the exhibit was amazing! Items that are over 3,000 years old, sitting right there, in front of you, protected but absolutely magnificent...I enjoyed every moment of it (EXCEPT for the very busy crowd, some more enamoured than me).

There were vases (that contained mummy's organs), statues, a child's chair, chests, and at the end, a video showing all of the coverings that were over Tut's mummified body. I counted 5 large coverings, and 5 sarcophagi (sarcophaguses?--I honestly had to look up the word just to make sure I spelled it right!!!). Unfortunatelyl the real sarcophagus was not there, possibly because it was to fragile to travel. But the other items they had there was really impressive. I encourage you to go see it and learn a little history if you can:


Cary was wonderful. He really appreciates art, though museum exhibits like King Tut are not his favorite. But after visiting Tut, we wandered the rest of the museum, where I could see him light up like a child in some places.

We saw a Hopper painting, which is his favorite artist, as well as visited the Modern Art--where there was a fan (oscalating) hanging from a rope and just propelling itself around, a large glass entryway that lead to a blindingly bright yellow room. Cary's favorite (and mine for the Modern art) was a pitch black room that had a light in the middle. Misters were mounted from the ceiling, and the light shined on the mist brilliantly. Very entrancing and cool to watch!


After visiting what felt like only a very small amount of the museum, we were starving, so we left and found ourselves some food.

The rest of the afternoon was spent resting and getting ready for church. Tonight, they were introducing their new series: Crazy Pill. What a laugh! And Ed had a great message with it....

The rest of the evening was spent with my parents, relaxing and winding down after a super busy, but fun day...

And Sunday? On to Brenda and Gary's for more fun!! (which consisted of a broken clock nearly fixed, and a puzzle being put together--I think I got 20 pieces together--go me!!!)

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...