Saturday, January 17, 2009

Date Night With Helen

Friday nights are typically reserved for Cary and my date nights, which we have had for the most part since before we were married. But last night was a fun change-up when we took our niece, Helen, ice-skating!

Brad, Faith, and Helen came into town for the weekend, and on Friday night Brad and Faith had plans, leaving Helen with her Oma and Opa for then night. But we decided something different for them: we would take her out onto the ice for some fun, cold exercise.

Cary and I started out the evening by going and picking up my birthday present from him: a pair of new, NICE walking shoes. For some, it is not new news that I have flat feet. And the guy who assisted us last night said that they are 'pretty flat', so that requires a slightly different shoe to help me be able to walk and hopefully not feel pain while doing so. So far so good--the shoes feel great on my feet!

We then went for a quick bite at Baan Thai--a very yummy Thai restaurant in Lewisville. I love my Thai!

Around 7:15 we got to Gary and Brenda's, where Helen had already eaten and was waiting eagerly for us. We gathered her mittens, jacket, and ear muffs together, showed off my new shoes, and then off to the rink we go!!

Every Friday night, Grapevine Mills has a public skate, where A LOT of kids, teenagers, and parents go to to skate in the same oval shape for 2 hours. Cary and I have been many times, including on our second date (with our hometeam of the time), but this is the first time we had taken Helen. She had been twice before at the Galleria, so she was an old pro at the skates.

When we got onto the ice, Helen had a mittened-hand on both of ours, and everytime she fell, or was near falling, she would just pick up her feet, and we would hold her to where she didn't fall.

She did well, especially when she didn't hold on to either of us. Cary would skate backwards and catch her as she looked like she would fall. Being the special-flat-footed person I am, I did get off the ice for a time to rest my feet and watched them go around.


The zamboni made its grand appearance at one point and so everyone piled off the ice and watched it smooth the ice, and then the trampling to get back on! So after that, we literally skated in circles for about 5 more times, and then decided that we were tired. It was 9:00 and time for a treat!






So off the the closest Starbucks we went, and warmed up with hot chocolate (Helen's a regular, mine with cinammon) and peppermint Mocha. We also split a chocolate chip cookie while having conversation ("If you had a horse/alligator/frog/etc.., what would you name it?") By the time we got back to Oma and Opa's, Helen was on a chocolate buzz...time to give her back to her parents! ;o)










It was a joy to spend time with her. I don't get to see her enough, and I'm still learning how to be an aunt. But each time I get to spend with her, it gets easier, and more fun.

Oh--I have my first 'kid moment'!!!

Driving home, Cary asked Helen if she wanted to drive the rest of the way home. Her response was a giggling/shrieking "NO!!"

When Cary asked why not, she said, "Because I could go to jail."

"But that's ok with me" (A very typical Cary response)

"But you don't want me hurt do you, with handkerchiefs on my arms!?"

It didn't take her long to remember 'handcuffs', but we still got a laugh out of it anyways. Please officer, don't take me away in handkerchiefs!!!

1 comment:

The Guess Family said...

nieces and nephews are good practice! austin used to spend the night with us all the time before we moved to CA. now he comes for a week at a time! we love having him.
:)

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...