Sunday, May 9, 2010

Come On Baby, Let's Do The Twist!

Saturday was Gary's birthday, and in combination with Helen's upcoming special day as well, we decided to go all out...50's style!



Yes, this was inspired by the adorable Poodle Skirt that Brenda made for Brylee for 50's day at daycare. I couldn't resist trying to find another reason for her to wear it again. This time, I got excited and ordered one for myself from etsy.com!


The day of the party, we arrived to find the decorations already set up (pooh! I was going to help!), and the room looked super-cool. Cary got his hair greased up and made a cigarette to get into the act.


Helen looked adorable in her long t-shirt and scarf, and made friends with the blow-up guitar very quickly. Everyone was dressed to party, and the music playing was 50's all the way...


Cary and I were brave enough to go to the grocery store to purchase some pickle relish and diapers, all while in our 'costumes'. It was fun running through the grocery store in a poodle skirt! (and reminiscent of when I did the same thing while wearing a renaissance dress...)


We played a game of guessing the name of the musician on the sticker on our back, including Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper, then we ate a delicious meal of hamburgers and sausages, waffle fries, and Root Beer Floats (!!!!)


Trivia was played, guessing the answers to questions Brad came up with about Gary and Helen. For Helen, I got about 6 right (yay!)...for Gary...2 out of 10...


After trivia, we dug into cake and watched Gary and Helen open gifts. Wow. These two are spoiled!!!! Helen got a basketball goal, roller skates, and some games, while Gary managed to get a pull-up bar, sunglasses, and a nice add-on to his bathroom. It's so funny the differences in gifts between children and adults...

The cake was amazing...as it always is. The McFaddens have a receipe for a special icing, which is a hard chocolate, and if you have chocolate cake, it just isn't the same without that icing. I'm drooling thinking about it now...


I hope that Gary had a very special day, and knows just how much all of us love him. What a fun guy to have in our lives, and I hope our effort to let him have fun was a good effort.

Helen's birthday is just around the corner (the day she turns 9, Brylee will be 6 months), and I hope she had an awesome day as well.

Another thing to add: Brylee adores her cousin. As soon as Helen walks in the door, Brylee just stares at her and follows everything she does...Helen better watch out when Brylee learns how to walk...she'll become Helen's little shadow!














Happy birthday!!!! I can't wait until June for the next party!

1 comment:

The Guess Family said...

Where is the picture of your poodle skirt???

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...