Sunday, May 2, 2010

Starting Off The Week With A Fiesta

This week is Cinco de Mayo, the holiday commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

This is a big celebration in Dallas, and you'll drive around and see restaurants advertising their Cinco de Mayo specials. Neither one of us are from Mexico, or have any blood relation, but it's not going to stop us from celebrating--eating style!

I don't normally post recipes on here, but I do want to share this one that I got off of allrecipes.com:


Easy Mexican Casserole








Prep Time:
20 Min
Cook Time:
30 Min
Ready In:
50 Min

Original Recipe Yield 6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, drained
  • 3 cups tortilla chips, crushed
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 1 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Stir in salsa, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in beans, and heat through.
  3. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread crushed tortilla chips in dish, and then spoon beef mixture over chips. Spread sour cream over beef, and sprinkle olives, green onion, and tomato over the sour cream. Top with Cheddar cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Cary and I personally enjoy it without olives, but oh, the rest is so delish!!!!

4 comments:

Carymc said...

Ivan is Hispanic. We could celebrate it for him.

Jenn said...

From BradMc via Facebook:

Yummy!

Jenn said...

From Autumn via Facebook:

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU POSTED THIS!! I wanted to try a new recipe on Sunday and pulled this exact one off all recipes! I substituted black beans for the chili beans and omitted the olives, also. I also sauteed a white onion when I browned the ground beef. I also ended up using 1 full cup of tomato de-seeded. It was very filling and we still have leftovers. This will be a great potluck dish!

Jenn said...

via Facebook:

You know, I guess all those years of being around each other, we've developed similar tastes!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...