Saturday, June 5, 2010

Brylee Goes Out Of State

We just got back from a week-long trip to Arkansas with Cary's parents. We stayed in a beautiful house in Mountain Home, close to Norfolk. Wonderful time with family, nature, and a growing, entertaining little girl.

The only things that would have made the trip greater would have been cooler temps (but cooler than Dallas!) and phone reception so I could check on our puppy more often in the week (he stayed with my parents...another excuse to talk to my parents', too!)



















As we crossed the border into Arkansas, we stopped and let the kid out to stretch....as well as look at the beautiful magnolia trees!




























Our lunch stop was at a lake where Brylee got to stick her toes in the water and then daze lazily out while we ate. She started sitting up by herself about 1 week ago, which apparently helps a lot with her sitting in our laps!










Another stop to let the little one 'breathe'. This is her goofy face while laying on a picnic table with everyone watching her (what else do you expect?!). This is about 1-2 hours before we arrived at our destination.






















Our 'home' for the week. At least a couple of pictures worth. Wooden deck to sit out on, and a living room with giant windows to glance down at the river. These pictures don't do the house justice. Here is the site where the house was found. Seriously, if you want a quiet river/mountain getaway, I do recommend it!




























Here are some outdoor photos at the house we were staying at. Every morning and every evening, fog would roll in across the river, sometimes completely engulfing it. Cary and his dad went out and played in the water almost everyday (I would say EVERYday, but I can't remember if that is true or not). First it started out with fishing, which they caught a few fish, and then ended with Cary picking up rocks and placing them in another location in the water, creating a 'dam'. He was like a little child playing!

A funny story with the river: One evening Cary and I went outside to see the stars in the sky. There are two slopes to go down to reach the river. I stopped at the first flat area and just enjoyed the view while Cary ventured down further. I saw his flashlight a couple of times, but didn't think much of anything until I heard a loud 'splash'...I would have thought he fell in, but I continued to see his flashlight, which followed something big in the water. I thought it was a huge fish, at least 2 feet long...then he came up to where I was, put my hand on his heart, which was pounding really hard, and asked me if I saw the beaver. He was star gazing with a wild animal!













































While there, we visited Blanchard Springs, which has a pond, spring (gorgeous!) and caverns. It was close to lunchtime, and we were getting fairly hungry, so it was a quick visit to the pond and spring before finding a place for sustenance (and fudge!)




























In Mountain View we found a Chicken Wings and Cheeseburger joint, so we couldn't resist checking them out. Cary even got a chocolate milkshake that Brylee was eyeing very closely...so we gave her a first try of it. And (no surprise) she liked it! I promise--it was barely a taste--unlike what the picture shows!)













Brylee sitting on a giant chair outside the shops around the square. Next door is the fudge shop, which has delicious fudge in every kind imaginable--including blueberry, strawberry, orange cream, and banana pudding! AND they let you sample whatever you want before buying! This place has such tasty fudge, we had to go back a second time so Cary and I could get a variety of samples to bring home with us!































In the afternoons, we typically spent our time building puzzles (we had 2 and bought 2 more at a dollar store), playing games, and watching our baby entertain us. I love this picture of her with Opa's glass...she was having so much fun with it!



















One morning, we stopped by the Jacob Wolf House, a tiny village that is now just a historic landmark. It even had a blacksmith shop!













We had a picnic planned one of the days, and as we were driving around, we drove past a turtle, which we stopped and saved because he was in the middle of the road (those warm, toasty roads they love to sun on sure gives them a death wish!). So Brylee unknowningly saved her 2nd turtle! We did show her the little reptile wonder, I need to get the picture sent to my email so I can save it and post it. She thought it was fascinating!






















Cary and I got to go visit the Blanchard Spring Caverns one afternoon while his parents played with Brylee. I have been to many caverns throughout my life, but Cary has not been inside one. I love visiting caverns every once in a while, and love to see them through first-timer's eyes. I really enjoyed seeing the beautiful stalagtites and stalagmites because of how they look as they form. The last picture in this series was my favorite--hundreds to thousands of stalagtites just hanging from the ceiling--so cool!



















As we drove home, we saw these beautiful views, a deer that let us take a lot of pictures, a raccoon that trotted across the road (too bad I didn't have my camera handy!), and the side of this cliff by the river...Arkansas has breath-taking beauty!















We had a picnic at the little lake above, and afterwards, Cary and Gary went on a short walk along the park, finding more beautiful natural things, while Brenda and I played with Brylee (of course). And later in the week, while Cary and Gary went on a cache hunt, Brenda, Brylee, and I sought coolness inside the car where Brylee tested her ability to drive. So far, she can honk the horn!

Along with a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, 8 hours of driving each direction, and stalking Volunteer Fire Departments for shirts for sale, the trip was wonderful and relaxing. And now, 1 week later, I have finished the post. Hopefully it didn't put you to sleep!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

From BradMc via Facebook:

Good to have you guys back. Looking foward to this weekend.

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...