Monday, June 21, 2010

Holiday Weekend Part One

What another crazy weekend! So much so, that I sense a 2-parter...

Friday night, Cary and I got to spend a wonderful evening together after Brylee got to spend the evening with her Oma and Opa. We saw Toy Story 3...in IMAX 3D! A great movie, and very emotional. A great completion to the Toy Story chapter.

On Saturday, we celebrated Father's Day and Brad's birthday. What a fun day! Cary and I went late morning. After lunch, Cary was great enough to get into the swimming pool with Brylee to give her more fun splashing around. Unfortunately, she didn't find this day to be as fun as it was the last weekend when she swam. It took a few tries and an inflatable raft to get her to enjoy the water.





Theme for Brad's Birthday? Spongebob Squarepants! The centerpiece for the table were the houses that Spongebob, Squidward, and Patrick live in. We bought a pineapple for Spongebob's home. We didn't have time to find a Easter Island Head for Squidward's home, so we decided to make it out of styrofoam. Let me remind you: Cary is super-talented and carved the entire thing out of the block in one single piece! I got the joy of painting the head and Patrick's half-dome house, and the pieces turned out great!

























For the evening, we had a delicious dinner of T-bone steak, sweet
potatoes, green peas, potato salad, rolls, salad...as always, a very filling, delicious meal!

Afterwards came the games. Cary created a trivia game for Brad and made it a crossword puzzle. He also created a few 'Bradlibs' (remember Mad Libs?). One of them was created with Spongebob's theme song. Long story short, at the end, Brad became 'Peacock Brad Square Buttocks'.

The moment the cake made it's grand appearance was when Cary 'broke birthdays'. Brylee was sitting in my arms, and I sat her on the table to let her see everything better. As I did this, she reached out and grabbed my water glass, tumping it over. It was cold and spilled all over.

As we were all getting up to get it cleaned up, Cary noticed that not all of the water had spilled out of the glass and decided that since Brylee got me wet, she needed to get wet herself. So he poured the rest over her head, not realizing that it was melted ice....it startled her and she ended up crying--while everyone else was laughing so hard at the situation.

Gary, Helen, and Brenda walked from the kitchen carrying the cake and singing "Happy Birthday" just as this was happening, and when they stopped and looked at us quizzically, it made the situation that much funnier. Seeing all of us laughing made Brylee laugh. All was fine in her world again. The best part? It was all on video!

What a wonderful evening, and I hope that Peacock Brad Square Buttocks had a wonderful birthday. I hope to get a copy of that video soon so I can post it for future laughs.

Another successful birthday party!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the matching cousins.

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...