Saturday, October 18, 2008

Honoring America's Bravest




Tonight Cary and I joined my mom and dad in the Annual Lewisville Fire Department Banquet, where the city's finest got to sit back, eat great food, listen to guest speakers, and receive awards.






This year was very special because 2008 is the year my dad celebrated 25 years as a Reserve Fireman. We surprised him with his 'honorary guests', his parents.




Grandpa and Barbara drove in from Cedar Creek, and Grandma drove in from Ft. Worth to show pride as their son received a standing ovation as he walked to the stage to receive his certificate. How many people can honestly say they have served one group for so many years for no money (long and hard input as well!?). I can honestly say he is my hero. What an amazing man!

Another goose bump experience tonight (besides the fact it was freezing in there!): Back in August the 4 of us were enjoying our Saturday evening watching tv when we heard a tone out for a possible drowning of a 3 year old. I can honestly say that I myself was holding my breath, praying to God for this family that is possibly losing their child. We heard that CPR was in progress, then we heard the dispatcher call for the chaplin.

A long time (felt like hours) passed before we heard anymore. Then we heard the ambulance arrive and they continued CPR. Not long after that, we heard a child's screaming in the background: the child was breathing again! I felt overwhelmed at that moment and got teary-eyed. And I didn't even know the family!

Tonight we saw the aftermath of this call: a healthy, happy 3 year old in her father's arms while her mother received an award for bravery and staying calm while administering CPR to her own child. What an amazing story and proof that God does listen to prayers!

3 comments:

The Guess Family said...

Looks like fun! Everyone looks great all dressed up!

The Guess Family said...

check my blog....I tagged you!

Autumn said...

Wow! Congrats to your Dad!

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...