Sunday, October 19, 2008

Live Oak Church

This morning Cary and I visited Live Oak Church, formerly known as Wichita Creek Baptist Church. This church means so much to me: it is the church that helped guide me to accepting Christ.

It started back when I was in high school, and my friend Brian Brooks invited me one day. This church was in a little known area of Flower Mound, off the main road for several miles. But it was wonderful, with woods surrounding us and the most comfortable setting.





The pastor of this group is Brad Kenney, and from the beginning I felt right at home here, and I started bringing other friends along with me. I also started babysitting for the families at the church, becoming the unofficial 'official' babysitter of choice. And how I loved those kids! There was Brett, Brooke, and Aubrey, Pastor Brad and Teresa's kids; Taylor and Jonah (their mom, Carol, was my 7th grade Science teacher who was pregnant with Taylor at the time); Megan, Matthew and Micalah; Tristan and Ian, Bobbie, Gunnar, Ty, and Lane; Jackie and Alex...and so many more!

Not long after I started this church, the youth group went to the Dawson McAllister Conference, which at the time had performers Todd Proctor, Joel Engle, and my favorite to this day, Chris Tomlin (he was just starting at the time, and I have a cd of his music that you cannot find anywhere today!). That night changed my life drastically forever.
I continued to put in as much time into the church as I could even with starting work and college. Unfortunately, my job wasn't as understanding in scheduling me for later shifts on Sunday so that I could attend service. I ended up having to give up bible studies and babysitting, as well as services for my job. And one day, Brad stepped down as pastor, and this pretty much ended my time of attending Wichita Creek. But I can say that I thought of the families (mainly the Kenneys) that helped my walk with Christ very regularly.

I started attending Fellowship after searching other churches, and thanks to Clay, who took me on my first visit and then a few others before I became more involved. I got into hometeams and hung out with my new friends, and eventually meeting Cary.

Of course I believe fully that God took me from Wichita Creek to help me find friends and the man I love so much. And when we began planning our wedding, I knew immediately that I wanted Pastor Brad Kenney to be officiating. I had found out that he was back at Wichita Creek, so one Sunday morning I made the familiar old drive back to the church, where I was greeted so warmly by Teresa, Brooke, Aubrey, and then of course Brad.

Brad seemed so excited to be the pastor at my wedding, and of course seeing everyone brought back so many memories! I took Cary there once before we were married so that he could meet Pastor Brad and all of the people who I cared about. At the wedding Brad made everyone laugh (as he has a great talent of) and made the wedding special.


Cary has been so wonderful to have taken me a few more times so I can keep up with everyone. I enjoy the sermons so much!

Back to today: Every time I see the kids, I still can't believe how much they have grown. The girls are so gorgeous, and they seem to be just as excited to see me today as they were when I used to play with them. It was also Pastor Brad's birthday, so that made it even more special. And afterwards, they invited us to lunch. We all (and I mean many people from the church) gathered at Culver's, a hamburger restaurant around the corner. I loved sitting there and catching up with everyone!

Brad, Teresa, Brett, Brooke, Aubrey, and the rest of the church members: Thank you for making me feel so welcome in your home again, and for letting me see how much the church (and kids) have grown! Check out their site and visit them if you get the chance: http://www.liveoakchurchfm.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe how much the kids have grown!!! Are you and Cary still at Fellowship?

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...