Wednesday, April 8, 2009

First Vandalization

Well, maybe not the first, as when I lived at my parents house, some random people decided to lift up GIANT plant pots and throw them at our glass door in the front of the house. I should really try to find pics and show you. They were massive!

Anyways, yesterday I experienced my first adulthood vandalization. Not that its a big deal, but still, I want to write this down, to help remind me that the world is not all hunky-dory...

I had a cute, very inexpensive door wreath on the front of Cary's and my apartment door. I have been putting wreaths up since last fall, and I always look forward to the next season or holiday to have an excuse for a new one.

This wreath was for Easter (though it had been on the door since Feb--I'm strange that way), and it had beautiful colorful eggs and flowers on it. And only $10. I always told myself to not spend a lot of money on something that can be stolen. But for some reason, I never thought to add the word, destroyed.

This past weekend was super windy, so this wreath lasted through several crazy moments, banging on our door. We learned to ignore that sound, along with the sound of wind blowing through our door and window cracks.

Such was the same situation Cary thought he was in yesterday afternoon, just before I got home from work. He heard the wreath bumping against the door and didn't think anything about it. But when he went to open up the front door, he was greeted with a site: the wreath had been destroyed...

This is an email I wrote to Cary this morning regarding it:

The sad thing is, I’m affected by it. I’m affected by the destruction of a $10 wreath. I’m affected because it means people don’t raise their kids to respect other people anymore, so therefore, even if we did catch the kids in the act, there is a strong chance the parents wouldn’t even care.

I spent only $10 with the thoughts that it could be stolen. And I wish it would have been stolen, just because I would have had the thought that some kid wanted to give something to his/her mom, and couldn’t afford anything, so…

I’ll get over it. It just makes me sad that this world is the way it is…(and that’s just for a measley $10 THING!)


And Cary is ever the wise one in this relationship:

We are going to have bad stuff happen to us in our lives, probably some very bad stuff, and how we react and our attitude during and afterwards will make all the difference to us, to our children, and to anyone who may be watching. We should practice on the little stuff.

I completely agree with Cary, but never had a situation happen like this, so the feelings are a first. I just hope to be like him in the future, with the reminder that material items are...well, material.

So the debate is still up on if I should post this or not. Not because it isn't an interesting story (well, I HOPE its interesting), but because it shows a weakness in me...

I tried looking for the pictures I had of the 'before' image, which was filled with several eggs of several pastel colors, but for now, enjoy the one showing how badly it was damaged...

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...