Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Story Of Aunt Ann's Pie

Growing up, I would go with my parents (and sometimes Uncle Bill) to Paris, TX to visit family. We would visit my great-great-grandmother, Granny (Pearlie), my great-granddaddy, Aunt Blondie and Uncle Jimmy, and Aunt Margaret and Uncle Hershel.

But I always enjoyed visiting my Uncle Gene, Aunt Ann, and Cousin Sondra the most.

Not because I liked them more than the others, but because they had a farm (with horses, goats, chickens, rabbits...). As a kid, farms are so much fun to visit! But also because my Aunt Ann made some mean pies.

My favorite that she made was chocolate. And she knew that, too. Whenever we went to visit, she would make it for me.

A few years ago (well, at least 10) she passed away. Throughout the mourning period I realized that I would never get to taste the delicious chocolate pie again. And I don't really see that as shallow because she put a lot of love into that pie for us, and I hope I showed her enough love besides just the love of her cooking. She was, after all, a very special person, just like all of my family in Paris.

When I met Cary just a little over 3 years ago, I learned something really neat about his family: they are big into homemade meals. Including cakes, muffins, and pies. And another really neat thing: they make a delicious chocolate pie...one that tastes just like my Aunt Ann's!!!

Every time I take a bite of this treat, my mind flies back to my childhood, sitting in the yellow kitchen, talking with my family, eating lunch as quickly as I could just to get to dessert. And then off to play with the animals...but that's not the point.

Tonight we are making that chocolate pie to take to our New Year's Eve game night. I'm not sure if mom has tasted this pie yet, but I hope it brings back the wonderful memories of Aunt Ann, and the fun days we had in Paris.

Here's to wishing everyone a very Happy 2010. May your past bring you good memories and your future hold pleasant surprises!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...