Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 4th Memory Of Christmas That Is So Fond To Me

Fire Department Santa
Four years ago, I just got back from Hawaii visiting my Uncle Bill. I arrived at 6:30 in the morning and dad picked me up from the airport. After breakfast, I took a short nap, and then he and I went on to the mall for some Christmas shopping fun for mom!

We were taking our traditional break and sitting down with a YUMMY "Mr. Pretzel" when dad received a phone call: it was the Lewisville Fire Dept. They asked if he was interested in being Santa Claus for the evening at Station 4. Of course my dad said yes. After the phone conversation, I immediately jumped in to volunteer as his 'elf' (a.k.a.--a free ride on the fire truck!)

Even though I was exhausted after a night of flying in uncomfortable airline seats, I was suddenly energized and looked forward to the night. I had ridden many times before with this, but every year, I get excited about it all over again.

Now, in Lewisville, there is a new holiday tradition that the engines and trucks go out starting a few weeks before Christmas and drive up and down all of the residential streets and Santa rides on top, tossing candy down to little kids. Sometimes he even gets down and poses for pictures with the kids.

As the engine turns onto the streets, they turn on the lights and sirens and you will see people peeking outside the doors and watch as they come by. Some have food to donate, and others like to give out treats to the firemen. You won't see them say no to that!

I enjoy riding around and looking at the lights and seeing the kids' faces light up when they see Santa. Nothing gets you more in the mood for Christmas! And hopefully this year Cary will get to experience his first ride-out! Watch for a future post!

Marrying my hubby!
Waking up at 2 a.m.
And 1 gold kitty!

1 comment:

The Guess Family said...

I wish we were still in Lewisville for that new tradition!

Funny, I just read about this on Shannon's blog. She called Uncle Gary and he arranged for her daughter, Kaleigh to come to the station beforehand to meet Santa. Well, it didn't go well. He wasn't the same Santa she had seen at the mall for the last 5 years and she had a huge meltdown that they were all "tricking" her and where was the real Santa???? Shannon had to take her to the mall to see the more familiar Santa to get her to calm down! She is one smart, sure-of-what-she-wants, little girl.
:)

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...