Thursday, December 18, 2008

The 6th Memory of Christmas That Is So Fond To Me

6 Family Gatherings!

It used to be 3 gatherings a year, until December 2007: Christmas Eve with the Jarvis Family, Christmas Morning with just mom, dad, and myself, and then Christmas lunch with the Wilson/Martin family.

What a busy time! But I loved every moment of it. Christmas Eve most years was at Grandpa and Barbara Jarvis' house, first in Irving, and then later at Cedar Creek. There were times that we would gather at our house or at Amy's house, both more of a central location for those driving from Gainesville and Cedar Creek.

We would start with dinner, and then off with the wrapping paper! For the longest time, Kim, Erica, and I were volunteered to be the Elves that passed out the gifts to everyone. I remember most of the time that names were drawn by the adults and everyone would buy for the kids. When Kim, Erica, and I were old enough, the 3 of us decided to stop that and we joined in with whatever the adults were doing.

One of the best memories of this gathering is the year we bought for a family that wasn't as blessed as we were. Their food, gifts, and some clothes were supplied by all of the Jarvis'. Knowing that young kids got a Christmas that year that may not have in other circumstances made the night that much more bright!

On Christmas morning, our family would wake up (see 2nd Memory Of Christmas for more details). It didn't start until more recently, but mom makes cinnamon muffins for breakfast that morning--the wonderful smell!

We always unwrapped the gifts by the fireplace: my parents make themselves comfortable on the couch and I love to lean against the fireplace. No Christmas morning is complete without the cats in the middle of the wrapping paper (make sure we don't accidentally throw one away!) and me putting my stocking on (yes, I STILL do that!)

We had great stockings and stocking holders for so many years: Dad had a silk green drum stocking with Kermit the Frog holder, mom had a quilt red stocking with raccoon and bird holder, and I had a rocking horse green stocking with Snoopy and Woodstock sleighing holder. It was a bittersweet moment to pack them away last year so we could add Cary's to the bunch...I guess we weren't anticipating a husband for me when I was 3 years old!

After breakfast, we would get dressed and head off to the Wilson/Martin family. I would always take my newest toys with me to entertain me during the drive (only in Garland, but that's a long ways for a kid!). When we got there, we chatted a little, and then got to eat a yummy lunch of turkey, mac and cheese, potatoes, homemade rolls...I'm stuffed just thinking about it!

Then, again, it was gift time! My family is so loving and giving. At least one more post will talk about the generous gifts I have gotten. After opening the gifts, we would watch tv or play games: UNO is a family favorite. We've had games last 1 1/2 hours!!!! We are aggressive with it, too. Watch out whoever plays!

We would always go home tired and happy. I'm always sad when we leave this family, not only because it is the beginning of the end of Christmas Day, but also because I never feel like I get enough time with my families.

This is the second year that I am adding 3 more gatherings with Cary's family, one with his family in Sulphur Springs (consisting of his 1-2 grandmothers, brother, sister-in-law, and neice). Then another gathering with his parents (who are in Sulphur Springs with us as well) and then the last, but certainly not least, the one for just the 2 of us.

I LOVE Christmas time with my families!!!!







5 Christmas Trees!
Fire Department Santa
Marrying My Hubby
Waking at 2 A.M.
And 1 Golden Kitty!

No comments:

Ninjago With A Special Guest

So we took B to go see Ninjago, The LEGO movie a couple of weeks ago, and by we, I mean Cary, myself, my dad, and...my grandfather. Odd co...